1st Amendment and Free Speech/PATRIOT ACT

Question
CAN ALL OF THE CONST & BILL OF RIGHTS B SUPERSEDED 'BYE ' THE "PATRIOT ACT??????????

Answer
Hi Tom,

Under US law, the Constitution (of which the Bill of Rights is a part) is the supreme law of the land.  All legislation must comply with the Constitution.  So, no legislation may suspend all or or any part of the Constitution.  Any legislation that conflicts with any Constitutional safeguard is null and void and will not be enforced by courts.

Of course, there are differing interpretations of some Constitutional rights.  Some might argue that some laws, such as parts of the Patriot Act, violate some Constitutional safeguards, while others think the law is perfectly constitutional.  Typically, we rely on the Courts to resolved these interpretational conflicts.  Ultimately, it is up to the people to provide consent to the terms by which they are governed.

I hope this helps!
- Mike  

1st Amendment and Free Speech

Michael Troy