1st Amendment and Free Speech/Basing Charges on Political Afiliation

Question
There's a smooth business in Vernal, Utah that charges $4.95 for a fruit smoothie. If the customer is a "liberal" the owner adds a "$1 surcharge", which he says he will donate to "conservative causes".  

When a customer orders, the owner points to the sign that says "conservatives, $4.95, liberals $5.95" and asks "which pricing are we using today?"

Certainly people can lie.  Apparently 3 people have paid the $1 "surcharge.  

I am surprised this is legal.   Is it?  Can he enforce the surcharge if someone says "I'm liberal but I'm not paying more than anyone else"?

Answer
Hello,

Without knowing the specifics of Utah law, I cannot render an unqualified legal opinion.  But generally speaking private business owners can discriminate on price based on a whole range of factors, except a few specifically banned (such as race, sex, religion etc.).  Most States do not ban discrimination based on political views.  Therefore, I don't see any legal problem with such a policy.  It may be a stupid one, but it seems legal.

- Mike  

1st Amendment and Free Speech

Michael Troy