1st Amendment and Free Speech/freedom of speech issue of ASU TKE

Question
What is your stance on the ASU fraternity TKE who threw the MLK party?

Should they have been punished for hosting a party that was "racially offensive?"

In relation to the situation, are there limits to the 1st amendments?

Answer
My personal view is that ASU violated the First Amendment rights of the students by punishing them for engaging in racially offensive speech.  There are no exceptions to free speech rights just because people find the speech offensive.  

CIR, where I used to work, litigated a similar case about 20 years ago involving a fraternity party at George Mason University.  We represented the fraternity members who were punished and won in court.  You can read a summary of the case here:

https://csl.sog.unc.edu/node/960

From what I have read of the case, the University violated the students' rights.  Universities do this all the time to silence politically incorrect speech.  Almost always, if the students take it to court, they win.

- Mike  

1st Amendment and Free Speech

Michael Troy