Office 2010/Toggle between columns in Word 2010

Jim Considine wrote at 2010-08-02 15:07:15
You might want to consider inserting a 2-column, multiple row table.  If you are concerned about the lines, you can delete them at the "borders and shading" menu.

Pedro wrote at 2010-11-25 20:07:39
Try inserting a table with two columns and one row, and you can then easily switch between the two columns.  You can set the table not to print or display borders so effectively it acts the same as 'newspaper' columns.

Nancy wrote at 2011-09-01 15:45:09
According to the Office 2010 help screens, use column break (under the page layout tab, to the right).

.thn wrote at 2012-01-26 19:22:56
Have you tried to do a column break?  That should resolve your issue.  To get back to the first column (when you are in the second column) do a continuous break.  HTH.  

Scott wrote at 2012-08-22 11:53:13
I add a "column break" in the first and each subsequent column and then I can simply cursor to the column I want to work in.

David Salahi wrote at 2012-08-26 20:50:09
Insert a column break. In Word 2010, from Page Layout tab, do Breaks --> Column.

Dr. P wrote at 2012-09-21 15:42:58
To make two lists in columns for a comparison, use Tables.  Create a table with as many rows as you have data that you want to compare.  And, it's easy to add or delete rows in the tables.  The data will wrap to the table cell and the other column will be sized to match.

Bella wrote at 2012-09-26 01:11:34
Hi all, to change columns, you need to put in a column break. This can be found by going to the page layout tab, clicking on the drop down menu next to breaks and selecting column break. You can see where you have formatted the document by pressing the funny backwards p button (top row, far right) next to the headings in the home tab. I hope this helps.

Mgerow wrote at 2012-12-18 16:04:40
Managing text in columns

When you want to finish a column of text before you reach the bottom of the page, press Enter once and then choose Insert, Break, Column Break and click Ok. The text will then jump to the top of the next column even though it hasn’t reached the bottom of the first.

You can view the column break as you would any other special Word code by clicking the Show/Hide¶ button on the toolbar. Column breaks can be deleted like any other Word code by placing your cursor just in front of the column break and press Delete. When you do this the column break will disappear and the text will realign down the first column to fill it and only overflow into the second once the first column is full.

When you're working with columns and if you need to move between columns you can either click with your mouse or use these keyboard shortcuts. To move to the next column, choose Alt + Down Arrow and to move to the previous column, press Alt + Up arrow. These commands will only work where you already have text in the column – so, if the second column is empty, pressing Alt + Down arrow won't work.  

typing4eva wrote at 2013-01-09 04:49:30
Put your cursor at the end of the column and either: 1) Press ctrl+shift+enter.

or 2) Go to breaks under the page setup (in page layout tab) and choose column break.

Jerry wrote at 2013-05-09 19:09:49
Had the same question, and best solution so far is NOT to use columns but insert a two-cell table instead. They basically duplicate side-by-side columns but very easy to toggle back and forth.

Office 2010

Jonathan Yaniv

As I am currently testing the Beta release of Office 2010, I can answer any question about the Office 2010 suite. What I wont answer is how to crack the beta release into a full release. All I ask is when I answer your question, to please rate the answer.

Office 2010 beta tester, using Microsoft Office for many years (previous releases).

Computer science diploma