Office 2010/Populate a Word doc with data from Excel

Question
Hi Mary

We take reservations by phone using an Excel template into which we enter information such as arrival and departure dates, No. of people, tariffs, totals, etc. This is then saved as an Excel file.

Info from particular cells in this Excel document is  subsequently entered into a table which is part of a word template. This is then stored as a document and emailed to the client.

Unfortunately people make mistakes when they transfer this info mannualy from the Excel doc to the Word doc. How can I automate this process? In other words, how can I "push" specific info to the Word doc, by means of links. Note: It would have been simple if this document could rather have been an Excel doc as well. However, it isn't practical since it contains a letterhead, other graphics and a substantial amount of other information.

I'm not familiar with VBA at all but I can give it a go if I can get step-by-step guidance.

Thanks and kind regards.
Nico Smith.

Answer
Hi Nico,

You may want to do a mail merge to accomplish what you are looking for in the Word document.

Mail Merge allows you to insert fields within the Word document and associating the Excel data file, then merging the fields in Excel to the Word document.  You have the option of saving the Word document as the template that is used repeatedly and continuing updating the Excel spreadsheet.  The merged document will be a new document and will not replace the Word template unless you save it that way.  If you are unfamiliar with the Mail Merge in Word, do a search for the term in the Word help files.

Hope this helps.  

Mary Lindsey

Office 2010

Mary A. Lindsey