2nd Amendment and Right to Bear Arms/best handgun

Hello Dean,

A simple question, I hope...
Your opinion on the best or effective handgun with regard to self-defense. The scenario is protecting oneself in the home and having a gun with maximum stopping power at fairly short range. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time.

Aside from the fact that this is very clearly a Second Amendment topic... and this question isn't... you must be mistaking me for the formerly famous gunwriter who once responded to such inquiries.

Still, the answer to your question is: any handgun at hand with which you are well-practiced.

2nd Amendment and Right to Bear Arms

Dean Speir

I can answer questions about Handguns, Rifles, Ammunition, the Firearms Industry, the "gunzine game," practical accessories for self-defense (CCW) handguns; rumor control on firearms myths, errata on the "gunshop grapevine."

I am NOT an Attorney, and nothing I provide here should be relied upon as legal advice. Therefore, please do NOT make inquiries about Criminal Justice issues... this is the Second Amendment topic.

Nor do I do "Private Consultations." Want to made it "private," retain an attorney.

25 years practical and competitive hangunning; 26 years in the firearms industry; 15 years writing for the gunzines, including 4 years as Industry Editor for The New Gun Week; maintainer of www.thegunzone.com.

Life Member, NRA

Guns Magazine, Combat Handguns, Petersen's Handguns, American Handgunner, The New Gun Week, Gun & Shooter, American Handgunner, Shooting Industry, American Firearms Industry, Machine Gun News, Practical Shooting International, Law Enforcement Techology, Police Product News, The American Guardian, The Shotgun News, Visier (Germany) and various DBI Books.

BA in English Graduate Lethal Force Institute Graduate Gunsite Graduate Defensive Training Institute