2nd Amendment and Right to Bear Arms/Iqari Rights to Bear Arms

Question
I have recently seen a meme going around the internet in support of 2nd Amendment rights that claims

"Even Under American Occupation, Every Iraqi Family can Keep a Modern Automatic Rifle for Self-Protection."

I have had trouble figuring out the validity of this statement.  There are no sources listed, and my searches for Iraqi gun control and rights to bear arms were not fruitful.  I understand this is not necessarily strictly related to the US rights to bear arms, but given your experience at the Federal Level & with the NRA I'm hopeful that you may be able to shed some light on this one way or the other.

I do not have an agenda, I just would like the truth of this statement as so often internet memes like these are a good picture and an exaggeration or outright lie.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Answer
This is well beyond my expertise, but I was able to find some information that appears reasonably reliable. However, I have not done sufficient research to give a definitive answer.

As a member of the Arab League, it is reported that Iraq has adopted what is known as the "Arab Model Law on Weapons, Ammunitions, Explosives and Hazardous Material." You can read for yourself what limitations that puts on the rights of gun ownership here:

http://www.international.gc.ca/informalmeetinggeneva2007/arab-model-law-en.asp

It appears from its face to allow individuals to own "one rifle, one gun, two hunting weapons" with appropriate licensing and registration. The model law does not appear to define "rifle," "gun," or "military weapon," making it difficult to determine from the text of the law just where a "modern automatic rifle" would fit, i.e., whether one would be considered a "military weapon," or whether it would be considered a "rifle." It is also unclear what "modern automatic rifle" means as used in the internet meme, i.e., a military-style semi-automatic or a select-fire (fully automatic) rifle.

Iraq was one of the most heavily armed nations prior to the US invasion in 2003 (http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0310/p01s03-woiq.html), and apparently still is. Statistics from Gunpolicy.org (of unknown accuracy to me) indicate that there are almost 10 million guns in civilian hands in Iraq (in a nation of 31 million people), for a rate of 34.2 guns per 100 people; that Iraq ranks at number 13 out of 178 countries in a comparison of the number of privately owned firearms; and ranks number 8 out of 179 countries in a comparison of the rate of private gun ownership.
-------------  

2nd Amendment and Right to Bear Arms

Robert P. Firriolo