2nd Amendment and Right to Bear Arms/State to State Law

QUESTION: There is an involuntary commitment on a state record, in the state where I previously resided; this record is not on file with NCIC. The state I currently live in does not have a "State Check" system, they use NCIC. However, the form that dealers use for checks is a federal form. So, for the question that asks "have you ever been committed......."; how do I answer that legally?

ANSWER: Steve,

Thanks for asking. The form that all Federally Licensed dealers use in #4473. The question have you ever been committed should be answered truthfully. If they found out that you falsified information, you will be in trouble.

Best regards,

Thanks for getting back to me; I have one more question.

When I answer that question truthfully, would a dealer still submit it for authorization to NCIC? I'm thinking if NCIC has no record, then I should be OK with the state I am living in. I just want everything "above board"....thanks again....Steve

The dealer will either call NCIS with the information or submit the information electronically on line. Yes you should be all right with your current state. You will know if your old record shows up if you get denied.

But as always it is best to be truthful, no matter what.

Best regards,

2nd Amendment and Right to Bear Arms

Dan Haynes

I will answer questions on the 2nd amendment from both historical and present day applications. I will answer questions on the right to keep and bear arms and the significance of this right. I will not answer questions that require legal interpretation or those that are outside of my areas of expertise.

I have studied the 2nd amendment from a historical view. I have certified as an NRA Range Safety Officer. I am a Federal Firearms License holder, and have a CCW permit. Since 2004, I operated my own gunsmithing shop and offer custom pistolsmithing services. I have served a 4 year term as an elected offical on the Montrose Colorado City Council, becoming Mayor in my 4th year. I am well versed on the US Constitution and firearm laws.

NRA, NAHC, M1 Garand Collectors Association

Smith & Wesson Club 1852 fall 2007 issue.

NRA hunter safety course, NRA Range Safety Officer training, Colorado CCW permit holder, Federal Firearm Licensee, professional pistolsmith.

Valhalla Shooting Club