2nd Amendment and Right to Bear Arms/State to State Law

Question
QUESTION: There is an involuntary commitment on a state record, in the state where I previously resided; this record is not on file with NCIC. The state I currently live in does not have a "State Check" system, they use NCIC. However, the form that dealers use for checks is a federal form. So, for the question that asks "have you ever been committed......."; how do I answer that legally?

ANSWER: Steve,

Thanks for asking. The form that all Federally Licensed dealers use in #4473. The question have you ever been committed should be answered truthfully. If they found out that you falsified information, you will be in trouble.

Best regards,

Dan

QUESTION: Dan;

Thanks for getting back to me; I have one more question.

When I answer that question truthfully, would a dealer still submit it for authorization to NCIC? I'm thinking if NCIC has no record, then I should be OK with the state I am living in. I just want everything "above board"....thanks again....Steve

Answer
Steve,

The dealer will either call NCIS with the information or submit the information electronically on line. Yes you should be all right with your current state. You will know if your old record shows up if you get denied.

But as always it is best to be truthful, no matter what.

Best regards,

Dan

2nd Amendment and Right to Bear Arms

Dan Haynes