2nd Amendment and Right to Bear Arms/NY Pisol Permit

I have a question that I am hoping you can aide me with.  I currently live in
Erie County in NY. I have been a registered Handgun owner for 5 years now.
What I would like to do, is apply for an "upgrade" to a Carry without
restriction, permit. Currently i have the C permit,  but it says Target/Hunting.
All the paperwork I have seen, implies you need a REASON to have it, whether
it be job related etc. Non of those reasons apply to me. I am a hunter. I feel
that I have earned the privilege to carry concealed without restriction, by
being a law-abiding citizen, from the inception of my permit. (before that too
). I don't want to seem like I want it, simply because I want it, and I need to
convey that to the judge. Would you please suggest a way to handle that
question for me? Thanks for your time.

Stephen, this is well outside the parameters of this topic as it is in no way related to the Second Amendment.

That said... and keeping in mind that I am NOT an attorney so what I am about to convey should not be construed as legal advice.

There are only two (2) types of Licenses in NYS (for the purposes of this discussion, New York City is not part of NYS as it has its own Municipal Code and should actually be part of California) "P" for Premises and "C" for Carry, and you indicate that your License bears the "C" prefix, so you already have a valid New York State Carry License.

Anything else in the way of qualifiers (target, hunting, business, etc.) are local "administrative restrictions," and are nowhere found in 400 of the New York State Penal Law.

Remember, if Bernie Goetz had obtained even a Premises License 30 years ago, he would never have done a day in jail... he would have been subjected to an Administrative Hearing, of course, and almost certainly would have had that License revoked or suspended, but there would have been no criminal sanctions.

The rest is up to you....

2nd Amendment and Right to Bear Arms

Dean Speir

I can answer questions about Handguns, Rifles, Ammunition, the Firearms Industry, the "gunzine game," practical accessories for self-defense (CCW) handguns; rumor control on firearms myths, errata on the "gunshop grapevine."

I am NOT an Attorney, and nothing I provide here should be relied upon as legal advice. Therefore, please do NOT make inquiries about Criminal Justice issues... this is the Second Amendment topic.

Nor do I do "Private Consultations." Want to made it "private," retain an attorney.

25 years practical and competitive hangunning; 26 years in the firearms industry; 15 years writing for the gunzines, including 4 years as Industry Editor for The New Gun Week; maintainer of www.thegunzone.com.

Life Member, NRA

Guns Magazine, Combat Handguns, Petersen's Handguns, American Handgunner, The New Gun Week, Gun & Shooter, American Handgunner, Shooting Industry, American Firearms Industry, Machine Gun News, Practical Shooting International, Law Enforcement Techology, Police Product News, The American Guardian, The Shotgun News, Visier (Germany) and various DBI Books.

BA in English Graduate Lethal Force Institute Graduate Gunsite Graduate Defensive Training Institute