2nd Amendment and Right to Bear Arms/2nd Amendment Wording

Question
Dean - First of all I appreciate your time. My husband and I recently bought handguns and we have been in a discussion about the correct way to refer to the 2nd Amendment. This is probably simple for you... Do you say you are
    exercising my second amendment right
    exercising my second amendment rights
 OR exercising my second amendment  

There are 3 of us trying to figure it out and we all think something different.  Thanks for clearing it up for us.

Answer
This is less a firearms-related question than one of language, but an easy one that you could have doped out for yourself.

The Second Amendment reads:

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. "

There is only one right cited, as opposed to, arguendo , the First Amendment:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. "

...which cites, at a minimum, five rights.

So whichever one of you made a brief in support of "exercising my Second Amendment right," carries the day… at least with us language pedants.

Thanks for writing and, please, keep our Second Amendment in mind in the national elections next year.

2nd Amendment and Right to Bear Arms

Dean Speir