4 Wheel Drive/SUVs/Spark plugs

Question
I had a tune up done on my 02 Buick Rendezvous in August 2011. I have not touched the spark plugs etc since and have maintained oil changes and fluids since. My car just broke down with a pop a engine and a flutter sound. The tow truck driver and an independent mechanic of 40 yrs, looked at it. A spark plug blew out; both looked at the spark plug and see slivers on the threads and said they are pretty confident it was partially stripped being put in and just eventually blew out under pressure. They dealership that the tune up was done at said it could be possible at the beginning but now that I'm not willing pay additional costs, are stating its not possible to have lasted a yr and three months.: My question is Can a partially stripped spark plug hold out this long before blowing out?

I understand this is an opinion only but would appreciate feedback.

Thanks,

Answer
Tori,

Simple answer is yes.  Depending on how bad it was stripped in the first place can make the difference.  Sometimes it takes quite a while for them to move in the threads before they finally break free.  Regardless, if it blew out, there was a faulty component, such as bad threads on the spark plug itself, or the mechanic cross threaded the plug when it was installed.
If the dealership wont repair the problem, contact your Bureau of Automotive Repair in your State, and see if they may address the problem with the dealer.

Carl

4 Wheel Drive/SUVs

Carl Brandt