4 Wheel Drive/SUVs/montero sport 2003 wont shift

Here's the skinny, left my Montero sport 2003 sitting for about a year, went out to start it , dead battery, no surprise , installed New battery, fired right up , but now won't shift, goes into all gears , runs and drives fine ,just won't up or down shift, tachs 4k at 40 mph , pulled codes , zero codes, don't know how topull trans codes if that's possible, as a side note had another truck sitting also when I started it ck engine light was on , pulled codes , led me to mouse chewed wire harness on #4 coil pack, repaired a-ok.

Sounds like you may have a similar mouse problem.  This can be a wiring problem, such as a bad ground, or a cracked, broken or missing vacuum line.

I would start at the transmission, and trace out any vacuum lines or electrical wires coming from the transmission.  

I am assuming that this is an automatic transmission.  The one question I have, is that you state that it goes into all gears.  This doesn't really go along with your complaint, as if it is going into all the gears, then there is something slipping in the transmission.  If it is an automatic, assuming that all the wiring and vacuum lines are good, then I would suggest that you change the fluid and possibly the filter and see if that helps.  It may be low on fluid also.  If it is a standard transmission, then I would suspect that you have a slipping clutch, which could be a bad or low on fluid master cylinder, bad slave cylinder or faulty pressure plate/clutch disk.

4 Wheel Drive/SUVs

Carl Brandt

Will discuss suspensions, lifts, lockers along with tire suggestions. Trail ratings and possible requirements needed for specific type of trails. Safety equipment and what you should carry with you. Certified off-road instructor. I am not a mechanic, and 4-Wheeling is a hobby, so if I can't answer a technical question it is due to my mechanical knowledge being related to vehicles that I have owned, or have worked on. I do not have manuals on all vehicles, and I suggest that you obtain a repair manual for mechanical problems and do some research before asking your question. Most mechanical questions can't be answered completely without looking at, or listening to the vehicle in person.

40 plus years of 4 wheeling in a variety of vehicles. At the present time, my major off-road rig is a 94 Jeep Wrangler with a spring over and a 1 1/2" suspension lift. This gives me a total lift of 7" or so. I have lockers front and rear. I have removed the track bars, and sway bar for maximum articulation. I am running a stock 2.5 ltr 4 cylinder with a Jacobs ignition along with a cold air high flow filter. It has 4.56:1 gears with a Dodge NV4500 transmission along with a 3.8:1 Atlas II transfer case. This gives me a final ratio of 105:1 in low gear/low range. Other vehicles I own, are a 96 Ford F-250 with a 6" lift, posi rear end, 36" Hummer tires, 5 speed with a fuel injected 460 ci engine, an 87 Samurai with an 8" lift, Ford 9" rear end with a spool, Chevy Dana 44 front end with an electric locker, 5.88 gears, 16% reduction in high range and a 6.5:1 low range with 35" Baja Claws, and a stock 2003 Grand Cherokee Overland. Trails I have run are the Rubicon (10 times), Dusey Ershim, Fordyce Creek trail, McGrew trail, several trails in Moab, Utah along with local monthly runs.

Lost Coast 4x4's Cal 4-Wheel Corva UFWDA Blue Ribbon Coalition

Certified off-road instructor - Certificates in engineering/electronics