4 Wheel Drive/SUVs/1994 Bronco Steering

I have a 1994 Ford Bronco Big Boy with about 83,000 miles. it seems to wonder on the road. It has what someone referred to as slop in the steering wheel. I have had a front end alignment  twice, had new upper and lower ball joints  and a new (rebuilt) steering box installed. Did not fix it. I have been told this is a natural thing for the Bronco. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks Bud

Eagle Lakes 2011
Eagle Lakes 2011  

Not being there to check it out, all I can do is give you a few suggestions.  Also, does it have a lift, and what size tires are you running.  

1)  If it doesn't have a steering stabilizer, install one as they are not real expensive and may cure your problem.
2)  Check the shocks
3)  Double check your tie rod and drag link ends for play or wear.
4)  Check the front wheel bearings
5)  Check the rear and front suspension, as the wobble could be coming from a loose or worn suspension bushing.
6)  If your alignments were done at the same shop, take it to another alignment shop and have it checked out to confirm that the prior alignments were done correctly.  Also have them double check the steering box.  I've purchased new components that were faulty, not just rebuilt ones.

These are the items that I would check out.  

4 Wheel Drive/SUVs

Carl Brandt

Will discuss suspensions, lifts, lockers along with tire suggestions. Trail ratings and possible requirements needed for specific type of trails. Safety equipment and what you should carry with you. Certified off-road instructor. I am not a mechanic, and 4-Wheeling is a hobby, so if I can't answer a technical question it is due to my mechanical knowledge being related to vehicles that I have owned, or have worked on. I do not have manuals on all vehicles, and I suggest that you obtain a repair manual for mechanical problems and do some research before asking your question. Most mechanical questions can't be answered completely without looking at, or listening to the vehicle in person.

40 plus years of 4 wheeling in a variety of vehicles. At the present time, my major off-road rig is a 94 Jeep Wrangler with a spring over and a 1 1/2" suspension lift. This gives me a total lift of 7" or so. I have lockers front and rear. I have removed the track bars, and sway bar for maximum articulation. I am running a stock 2.5 ltr 4 cylinder with a Jacobs ignition along with a cold air high flow filter. It has 4.56:1 gears with a Dodge NV4500 transmission along with a 3.8:1 Atlas II transfer case. This gives me a final ratio of 105:1 in low gear/low range. Other vehicles I own, are a 96 Ford F-250 with a 6" lift, posi rear end, 36" Hummer tires, 5 speed with a fuel injected 460 ci engine, an 87 Samurai with an 8" lift, Ford 9" rear end with a spool, Chevy Dana 44 front end with an electric locker, 5.88 gears, 16% reduction in high range and a 6.5:1 low range with 35" Baja Claws, and a stock 2003 Grand Cherokee Overland. Trails I have run are the Rubicon (10 times), Dusey Ershim, Fordyce Creek trail, McGrew trail, several trails in Moab, Utah along with local monthly runs.

Lost Coast 4x4's Cal 4-Wheel Corva UFWDA Blue Ribbon Coalition

Certified off-road instructor - Certificates in engineering/electronics