4 Wheel Drive/SUVs/97 ford f150 4x4 problem

Question
QUESTION: I recently changed Tranny and torque converter in my 97 Ford f150 4x4. Motor is 4.6. The Tranny I installed is from a 98. The old Tranny totally shot. The new tranny is acting funny. Had to switch out the sensor from the old Tranny to use on the newer Tranny cause the wiring plug was different. I don't know if this makes a difference. But the new Tranny feels like it slips revs engine real high like 4-5000 rpm and slams into gear. The o/d lite flashes as soon as you start truck and engine runs like it it needs a tune up.it didn't run like this before I changed the tranny and the new Tranny was checked outout before installed. The only thing I haven't done was change the Tranny filter any help would be great.

ANSWER: Robert,

Check all the vacuum lines,and any electrical connections.  A bad ground can do this also.
The slipping sounds like a bad tranny though.
I would take it to a reputable transmission shop and have them check it out.

Carl

QUESTION: Well I found out that the wiring harness on truck has 8 pin plug and the new Tranny has 10. So the senvorr was switched from old Tranny to new one so plug would work. This I am told put it in limp mode and needs to be wired for the 10 pin sensore. Can you tell me how to get wiring diagram to do this. Am told this should fix problem

ANSWER: Robert,

Here is a site that should help.  It has the wiring diagram for your transmission swap.

http://www.justanswer.com/ford/3u6vf-need-transmission-mechanic-help-truck.html

Hope this cures the problem.

Carl

QUESTION: Ok looked at the sensor that goes to the 98 tranny and it has 12 pins. 2 rows of 6 straught across, not the octagon style. I believe is a neutral safety switch. Can you tell me how to wire this correctly, cause the plug from truck harness is different and wont plug into it

Answer
Robert,

I did a little more research, and it appears that the 97' F150 had either an E40D or 4R70W.

The 98' F150 added a third model the 4R100 Transmission.

Looks like you need to make sure to match up the transmission type in your truck.

Here are some transmission codes that may help you figure out which one you have, and need.

U - automatic 4R70W-AOD (Econoline, F-150, F-250, Explorer/Mountaineer)
   E - automatic E4OD, or 4r100 (Econoline, F-150, F-250)

The only F150's that really got the 4R100 are low emissions versions sold in states like California. The 4R70 is not low emissions certified.

Carl

4 Wheel Drive/SUVs

Carl Brandt