4 Wheel Drive/SUVs/04 Discovery

First off I'd like to thank you for being here! I recently bought an 04 Discovery. I have pretty happy with it, except with the high gas consumption, the other day I was doing routine driving and it started missing 1 or 2 cylinders.
Now days later there has been No improvement. Idling or running normal it stills missing.
I checked the plug wires and found nothing missing, I can't get to the"distributor".
Cab you think of anything else I can check? Thank you again, Paul

Have you pulled the plugs to see if any of them are fouled, or replaced them?  Replace the plug wires also.  They may look good, but could have a high resistance.
After doing a full tune up, if it is still missing, you may need to check the fuel pressure to insure that the fuel pump is working properly, or that you don't have a plugged fuel filter.
If you have done all of these, you may want to do a compression check to see if you have a bad cylinder.
There are several other things that can cause this, but these are the most common.

4 Wheel Drive/SUVs

Carl Brandt

Will discuss suspensions, lifts, lockers along with tire suggestions. Trail ratings and possible requirements needed for specific type of trails. Safety equipment and what you should carry with you. Certified off-road instructor. I am not a mechanic, and 4-Wheeling is a hobby, so if I can't answer a technical question it is due to my mechanical knowledge being related to vehicles that I have owned, or have worked on. I do not have manuals on all vehicles, and I suggest that you obtain a repair manual for mechanical problems and do some research before asking your question. Most mechanical questions can't be answered completely without looking at, or listening to the vehicle in person.

40 plus years of 4 wheeling in a variety of vehicles. At the present time, my major off-road rig is a 94 Jeep Wrangler with a spring over and a 1 1/2" suspension lift. This gives me a total lift of 7" or so. I have lockers front and rear. I have removed the track bars, and sway bar for maximum articulation. I am running a stock 2.5 ltr 4 cylinder with a Jacobs ignition along with a cold air high flow filter. It has 4.56:1 gears with a Dodge NV4500 transmission along with a 3.8:1 Atlas II transfer case. This gives me a final ratio of 105:1 in low gear/low range. Other vehicles I own, are a 96 Ford F-250 with a 6" lift, posi rear end, 36" Hummer tires, 5 speed with a fuel injected 460 ci engine, an 87 Samurai with an 8" lift, Ford 9" rear end with a spool, Chevy Dana 44 front end with an electric locker, 5.88 gears, 16% reduction in high range and a 6.5:1 low range with 35" Baja Claws, and a stock 2003 Grand Cherokee Overland. Trails I have run are the Rubicon (10 times), Dusey Ershim, Fordyce Creek trail, McGrew trail, several trails in Moab, Utah along with local monthly runs.

Lost Coast 4x4's Cal 4-Wheel Corva UFWDA Blue Ribbon Coalition

Certified off-road instructor - Certificates in engineering/electronics