4 Wheel Drive/SUVs/transfer case


QUESTION: I have a 1998 ford explorer xlt electric shift. V6. I need to know what transfer case came in it. Or what one that will interchange with it. Thanks.

ANSWER: Jesse,

It should have a Borg Warner BW4405 power-torque Transfer Case.  I haven't heard of any direct replacements for a different transfer case.  

If you want to have a manual transfer case, I understand that you may be able to swap in a BW1354 from a first gen Explorer or 1991-1997 Ford Ranger/93-97 Mazda B-series Truck. You may also use a BW1350 from an 80's BroncoII or Ranger but will require you to have the driveshaft modified to work with your truck and is not necessarily as strong as the BW1354 but considering it is gear driven some consider it better than the BW4405 that is originally equipped in our trucks.  To confirm this, I would check with some transmission shops that specialize in 4-wheel drives.

The more expensive option for a manual case would also be to go with an Atlas transfer case which is much stronger than the Borg Warner design and is made for extreme off road use.v


Has the transfer case been checked out by a transmission shop?  Many times, the problem is simply a shift motor, which would be much cheaper to replace, then the whole transfer case.


---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: I have a clunki.ng in my transfer case when I first give it gas and it won't shift. From. High to low . What is the cause.


This is impossible to trouble shoot without checking out the transfer case in person.  There are many things that can cause a clunk like this, varying from a bad gear, bad bearing to a faulty u-joint.

You need to take it into a reputable transmission shop, and have it diagnosed.


4 Wheel Drive/SUVs

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Carl Brandt


Will discuss suspensions, lifts, lockers along with tire suggestions. Trail ratings and possible requirements needed for specific type of trails. Safety equipment and what you should carry with you. Certified off-road instructor. I am not a mechanic, and 4-Wheeling is a hobby, so if I can't answer a technical question it is due to my mechanical knowledge being related to vehicles that I have owned, or have worked on. I do not have manuals on all vehicles, and I suggest that you obtain a repair manual for mechanical problems and do some research before asking your question. Most mechanical questions can't be answered completely without looking at, or listening to the vehicle in person.


40 plus years of 4 wheeling in a variety of vehicles. At the present time, my major off-road rig is a 94 Jeep Wrangler with a spring over and a 1 1/2" suspension lift. This gives me a total lift of 7" or so. I have lockers front and rear. I have removed the track bars, and sway bar for maximum articulation. I am running a stock 2.5 ltr 4 cylinder with a Jacobs ignition along with a cold air high flow filter. It has 4.56:1 gears with a Dodge NV4500 transmission along with a 3.8:1 Atlas II transfer case. This gives me a final ratio of 105:1 in low gear/low range. Other vehicles I own, are a 96 Ford F-250 with a 6" lift, posi rear end, 36" Hummer tires, 5 speed with a fuel injected 460 ci engine, an 87 Samurai with an 8" lift, Ford 9" rear end with a spool, Chevy Dana 44 front end with an electric locker, 5.88 gears, 16% reduction in high range and a 6.5:1 low range with 35" Baja Claws, and a stock 2003 Grand Cherokee Overland. Trails I have run are the Rubicon (10 times), Dusey Ershim, Fordyce Creek trail, McGrew trail, several trails in Moab, Utah along with local monthly runs.

Lost Coast 4x4's Cal 4-Wheel Corva UFWDA Blue Ribbon Coalition

Certified off-road instructor - Certificates in engineering/electronics

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.