4 Wheel Drive/SUVs/2004 hyundai santa fe

Question
just bought 2004 santa fe when we drive up our driveway when its snow covered vehicle starts to spin and a noise almost like a ABS pump going off sounds the TCS light on dash flickers but no other wheels kick in just the front wheels needless to say we are not going up the driveway the front wheels spin out and there we sit .is there vaccum to the front wheels to slow them so the back wheels can engage  I don't know anything about this type of 4 wheel drive system so I am lost as to where to start looking  thank you for hearing my question

abs

Answer
Dave,

Which model is it?  You can purchase each model with front wheel drive, or all-wheel drive.  Is it possible, that you only have front wheel drive.  If you have all wheel drive, then there could be a problem with a sensor, which would explain the flickering TCS light.  I would take it to a reputable shop, and have them run a scan on the vehicle, and see what codes come up.

If you have automatic all wheel drive, then you should have the BorgWarner TorqTransfer System ITM-I (interactive torque management I). The system uses electronic sensors and microcomputer controls to sense slippage in a vehicle's front wheels and automatically transfers power to the rear wheels. Then, when the front wheels are no longer slipping, the system reduces or eliminates power to the rear wheels.

The reduced slippage increases efficiencies that enhance vehicle handling and traction and improve fuel economy. The ITM-I can work with other systems such as antilock brake systems and electronic stability programs to further enhance traction and stability.

Carl

4 Wheel Drive/SUVs

Carl Brandt