4 Wheel Drive/SUVs/speed sensor on 96 Toyota Tacoma 4WD 2.7

Question
Good afternoon, well only turning to you here cause I cannont determine where the speed sensor is located on my 96 Toyota Tacoma 4WD 2.7. I have check the internet, I get different results,one says on the tranny, its not there and other have said in the speedometer cluster.I have recieved a P0500 check engine light and my speedometer does not work. I have tried replaceing the cable but nothing. My smog is due here in Feb and like to figure this out before then, I was told this would not pass smog with a check engine light. Please any help here? I have check and rechecked all the pix on the net etc etc..thx Bernie

Answer
Bernie,

From what I can find, there are 2 pieces to the puzzle. On a '96 you have a speedometer cable, unlike the newer Tacomas. Also, all Tacoma 4x4s have a gear driven sending unit on back end of the T-case, right near where the driveshaft comes out. Crawl under your truck and take a look. On your '96 the speedometer cable will attach there.

If you are in California, it will not pass smog with the check engine light on, as the check engine light is part of the visual inspection.

Carl

4 Wheel Drive/SUVs

Carl Brandt