4 Wheel Drive/SUVs/Auto Transmission

Question
HELLO CARL,   I HAVE A 2004 FORD RANGER 4 L 4X4  MY AUTO TRANS,  SUDDENLY BEGAN TO NOT FUNCTION PROPERRLY,
I  CHECK TRANS FLUID ALL IS OK

WILL NOT MOVE IN REVERSE
WILL NOT GO INTO OVERDRIVE  BUTTON IS ON THE END OF THE SHIFT CONTROL SHIFT LEVER
RUNS OK IN 2ND AND 1ST GEARS
RUNS OK WHEN OVERDRIVE IS OFF BUT SEEMS WEAK.
THIS JUST BEGAN WHEN I PUT THE TRANS INTO LOW GEAR 1ST  IT MADE A CLONK IN REAR.  VEHICLE HAS 140000 MILES THERE IS NO FLUIDS LEAKS AS I HAVE IT PARKED ON CONCRETE AND CHECKED NOTHING FROM TRANS OR ENGINE

ALSO MAYBE RELATED SINCE IT IS ON THE STEERING COLUMN IS MY WIPER INTERMITTENT CONTROL DOES NOT TURN ON   THE WIPERS RUN AT HIGH SPEED BUT SPORADIC

ANY THOUGHTS  WOULD BE HELPFUL
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE,  BE SAFE

Answer
Richard,

The first thing that I would do, is have the codes pulled and see if that gives you and indication of whats wrong, as it should have a stored error code on the computer.

You might want to replace the valve body gaskets, and solenoids as they are known to go bad and cause similar issues. Kind of a shot in the dark but itís a $100 job if you do it yourself.  When you do this, you can check out the valve body and check for broken, or worn bands.

Another likely suspect, is the overdrive sprag.

The sprag must hold for all engagements both foreword and reverse, the reason the transmission engages in manual low and manual second is the coast clutch is applied. When the coast clutch is applied, it holds the same part that the overdrive sprag drives (overdrive planet). The overdrive sprag is not needed for overdrive because the overdrive band holds the drum and the sprag overrides.

You can purchase a repair manual at a local auto parts store for a reasonable price, and it will give you all the information and locations of these components.  Also will give you some trouble shooting tips.

Carl

4 Wheel Drive/SUVs

Carl Brandt