4 Wheel Drive/SUVs/loud noise

I have a 93 toyota 4runner sr5 3.0 v6 automatic 4x4. I had a broken front axle. I replaced it with a brand new cv. Thus my problem started. When driving on the road in 2wd there is a loud humming/squealing noise coming from the rightt front area. (Replaced right front cv axle) it starts arou d 5mph and gets louder with acceleration. Stopped when around 5 mph when slowing down. While driving in 4 high it starts then letting out of the gas and trucks begins to coast and comes and goes while driving. In 4 low it rairly makes noise. I have replaced inner and outer wheel bearrings. Brakes. Iv had the flange hud assembly apart at least 15 times and can not find anything out of the ordanary. I'm at my breaking point and about to sell it at a great financial loss if not fixed soon. I'm scared to drive it on the road but in the woods it does perfect. Any help is appreciated.

This is a hard one to diagnose without actually being there and looking at it.  Sounds like you have replaced most of the parts that I would suggest.  There are some other things that can cause this.  One, is so simple, it is an easy one to overlook.  That is a bent dust shield rubbing.  These are fairly thin metal, and bend quite easily, and can rub on the rotor making this type of sound.  Another simple issue, is the brake pads.  Do they have the anti squeal shims or compound on them.

I know that these seem like they may be obvious, but I have seen simple things like this many times, and they are almost so obvious that they are overlooked.  I have even seen pebbles, bolts, or other items wedged between the rotor and the dust shield, or even next to the brake pads themselves.

Before you give up, try to check out these minor things, as they are real easy to miss.

4 Wheel Drive/SUVs

Carl Brandt

Will discuss suspensions, lifts, lockers along with tire suggestions. Trail ratings and possible requirements needed for specific type of trails. Safety equipment and what you should carry with you. Certified off-road instructor. I am not a mechanic, and 4-Wheeling is a hobby, so if I can't answer a technical question it is due to my mechanical knowledge being related to vehicles that I have owned, or have worked on. I do not have manuals on all vehicles, and I suggest that you obtain a repair manual for mechanical problems and do some research before asking your question. Most mechanical questions can't be answered completely without looking at, or listening to the vehicle in person.

40 plus years of 4 wheeling in a variety of vehicles. At the present time, my major off-road rig is a 94 Jeep Wrangler with a spring over and a 1 1/2" suspension lift. This gives me a total lift of 7" or so. I have lockers front and rear. I have removed the track bars, and sway bar for maximum articulation. I am running a stock 2.5 ltr 4 cylinder with a Jacobs ignition along with a cold air high flow filter. It has 4.56:1 gears with a Dodge NV4500 transmission along with a 3.8:1 Atlas II transfer case. This gives me a final ratio of 105:1 in low gear/low range. Other vehicles I own, are a 96 Ford F-250 with a 6" lift, posi rear end, 36" Hummer tires, 5 speed with a fuel injected 460 ci engine, an 87 Samurai with an 8" lift, Ford 9" rear end with a spool, Chevy Dana 44 front end with an electric locker, 5.88 gears, 16% reduction in high range and a 6.5:1 low range with 35" Baja Claws, and a stock 2003 Grand Cherokee Overland. Trails I have run are the Rubicon (10 times), Dusey Ershim, Fordyce Creek trail, McGrew trail, several trails in Moab, Utah along with local monthly runs.

Lost Coast 4x4's Cal 4-Wheel Corva UFWDA Blue Ribbon Coalition

Certified off-road instructor - Certificates in engineering/electronics