4 Wheel Drive/SUVs/loud noise

Question
I have a 93 toyota 4runner sr5 3.0 v6 automatic 4x4. I had a broken front axle. I replaced it with a brand new cv. Thus my problem started. When driving on the road in 2wd there is a loud humming/squealing noise coming from the rightt front area. (Replaced right front cv axle) it starts arou d 5mph and gets louder with acceleration. Stopped when around 5 mph when slowing down. While driving in 4 high it starts then letting out of the gas and trucks begins to coast and comes and goes while driving. In 4 low it rairly makes noise. I have replaced inner and outer wheel bearrings. Brakes. Iv had the flange hud assembly apart at least 15 times and can not find anything out of the ordanary. I'm at my breaking point and about to sell it at a great financial loss if not fixed soon. I'm scared to drive it on the road but in the woods it does perfect. Any help is appreciated.

Answer
Justin,

This is a hard one to diagnose without actually being there and looking at it.  Sounds like you have replaced most of the parts that I would suggest.  There are some other things that can cause this.  One, is so simple, it is an easy one to overlook.  That is a bent dust shield rubbing.  These are fairly thin metal, and bend quite easily, and can rub on the rotor making this type of sound.  Another simple issue, is the brake pads.  Do they have the anti squeal shims or compound on them.

I know that these seem like they may be obvious, but I have seen simple things like this many times, and they are almost so obvious that they are overlooked.  I have even seen pebbles, bolts, or other items wedged between the rotor and the dust shield, or even next to the brake pads themselves.

Before you give up, try to check out these minor things, as they are real easy to miss.

Carl

4 Wheel Drive/SUVs

Carl Brandt