4 Wheel Drive/SUVs/Vehicle speed sensor

Question
Which sensor controls the speedometer on a 2002 Ford Explorer, and it's location?

Answer
Transmission
Transmission  
Robert

The Ford Explorer relies on a speed sensor to provide the computer with speed information. The computer uses this information to shift the transmission, and to supply the instrument cluster with the vehicle speed for use with the speedometer and odometer. If the speed sensor fails, the transmission will shift poorly and the speedometer will fail to register correctly, if it registers at all.

The speed sensor costs around $25 on line, and is easy to replace.

How to Replace a Ford Transmission Speed Sensor

Things You'll Need

Ramps
   2 wheel chocks

10mm box wrench

Instructions

Drive the front wheels of the Explorer onto the ramps. Set the parking brake and place the wheel chocks behind the rear wheels.

Climb under the Explorer below the driverís door. Locate the speed sensor, which mounts on the driverís side of the transmission. Unbolt it using the 10mm box wrench.

Pull the sensor out of the transmission and disconnect the sensorís wiring harness from the Explorerís main wiring harness by hand.

Bolt in the new speed sensor with the 10mm box wrench. Plug the new sensorís wiring harness into the Explorerís main wiring harness by hand.

Climb out, move the wheel chocks and drive the Explorer off the ramps carefully.

Carl

4 Wheel Drive/SUVs

Carl Brandt