4 Wheel Drive/SUVs/4x4

Question
Got04silverator push button 4x4 .started making a banging sound while driving from trans. Area. Intermittly ,no certain speed. In or out of 4wheel drive.  Does it whether crushing, coasting, or giving it gas. Sounds like when you put in in 4low. Pulled fuse to 4wheel drive, but still does it. I suspect transfer case control module. U joints ok .  No check lights on. Any thoughts on this?  Thanks,  Ed

Answer
Ed,

I believe that you have a chain driven transfer case.  It is common for the chain to stretch, and even break.  When this happens, the chain can hit the case, and make this type of sound.  I've, even seen them slap the case hard, and long enough to break a hole in the case.

I would start by having the transfer case checked out at a reputable shop, or if you can, pull it yourself, and check out the chain, and internal components.

Carl

4 Wheel Drive/SUVs

Carl Brandt