4 Wheel Drive/SUVs/3779 W. 4650 S.

Question
8016459581    Greetings, I own a 1993 Ford Ranger XLT, extended cab, F250,4x4 with E4Od trans.with overdrive. My question is; My transmission was replaced 2 years ago and it worked fine, now I have to start out in drive 2 to get started from a dead stop., seems my overdrive is on. Is it possible I could have a short in the wiring harness that connects to the side that shifts?  Thank you.

Answer
Bernie,

A Ford E4OD shift problem like this can be solenoids, wiring or sensor issues.  It is unlikely a mechanical issue other than bound or damaged shift linkage.  

There is a PCM (powertrain control module) that can throw codes.  See if you can find someone with a scanner to read codes if possible.  I know of possibilities with the shift solenoids, perhaps a loose connection inside the transmission pan if you cannot find anything obvious in external wiring or visible plug/wire junctions.

Check out this site, and see if it may help:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/904459-really-useful-writeup-on-dreaded-e4od-i

Carl  

4 Wheel Drive/SUVs

Carl Brandt