4 Wheel Drive/SUVs/chevy express van

Question
QUESTION: i have a po449 code and wonder what is the best thing to do first and if that could have anything todo with gas in engine oil

ANSWER: Ike,

The PCM has determined that a malfunction exists in the electrical circuit for the vent valve/solenoid in the evaporative emission control system.

Definition:
EVAP (Evaporative Emission System) purge/vent solenoid circuit condition

Explanation:
The solenoids and system wiring are monitored for opens or shorts

Probable Causes
1- Purge or vent solenoids defective
2- Check connector and wiring
3- Fuel saturated vapor canister
4- Failed EVAP vent solenoid

Here is a site that explains this malfunction:
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0449

There is a possibility that this problem can cause gas in the oil.

Carl

QUESTION: i read that it could be the thank pressure sensor what is that suppossed to read and the volts on that too

Answer
Ike,

OBD II Fault Code
   OBD II P0451

Fault Code Definition

Evaporative Control System Pressure Sensor Range/Performance

What does this mean? The Code P0451 indicates that the Evaporative Pressure Sensor is indicating pressure change values that are not within specification, during the EVAP Monitor test and/or the operation of the vehicle.

The evaporative control (EVAP) system captures any raw fuel evaporating from the fuel storage system (e.g. the fuel tank, filler neck, and fuel cap). Under precise operating conditionsódictated by engine temperature, speed, and loadóthe EVAP system stores and purges these captured fuel vapors back into the combustion process. The Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor is a device that tracks any positive or negative pressure changes in the Fuel Storage or Evaporative Control (EVAP) system. It constantly relays this pressure information to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor is located on top of the Fuel Tank, or on or near the Fuel Pump and Fuel Gauge Module.

Symptoms

Check Engine Light will illuminate
   In most cases, there are no adverse conditions noticed by the driver
   In some cases, there may be a noticeable fuel odor caused by the release of fuel vapors

Common Problems That Trigger the P0451 Code

Defective Fuel Tank Sending Unit
   Defective or damaged Fuel Tank
   Defective Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor, wiring, or computer
   Defective Carbon Canister
   Defective Canister Vent Valve - in some cases

Common Misdiagnoses

Fuel Cap
   Evaporative Purge Valve
   Evaporative Vent Valve

Polluting Gases Expelled

HCs (Hydrocarbons): Unburned droplets of raw fuel that smell, affect breathing, and contribute to smog

The Basics
The Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor is a device that tracks any positive or negative pressure changes in the Fuel Storage or Evaporative Control (EVAP) system. It constantly relays this pressure information to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor is located on top of the Fuel Tank, or on or near the Fuel Pump and Fuel Gauge Module.

P0451 Diagnostic Theory

The Evaporative Control System Pressure Sensor Range/Performance code sets when the readings of the Pressure Sensor are irrational and/or out of range for ten seconds of vehicle operation after a cold start. This code uses "two trip" logic, which means that the fault condition must be present during two successive cold starts and vehicle operation.

Common Tests for the Evaluating the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor

Retrieve the code and write down the freeze frame information to be used as a baseline to test and verify any repair.
   Pay very close attention to the Fuel Tank Pressure readings by observing its data stream on a scan tool. Does the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor work properly? If it doesn't, the system will think that no vacuum is being created when, in fact, there is a vacuum being created that the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor is unable to read. The Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor is the primary feedback sensor that the Powertrain Computer relies on for the leak test data.
   Inspect and test the Fuel Pressure Sensor wiring. Verify that there is a 5-volt reference signal from the PCM, a good ground, as well as a good signal return circuit to the PCM.
   While observing the data stream change (or lack there of) on a scan tool, test the Pressure Sensor with a Vacuum Gauge while it is connected to the wiring harness.
   If all of the above test results are within spec, then the problem may reside in the PCM itself.

Carl

4 Wheel Drive/SUVs

Carl Brandt