4 Wheel Drive/SUVs/1997 tracker have same front diff (and gears) as a 2003 chevy tracker ?

i just bought a 2003 chevy tracker and the guy neglected to tell me the front diff was busted. as soon as i put it into 4WD it made horibble noises.
so i have a 1996 and a 1997 chevy tracker and they are all 5 speeds but i dont know if the front diffs will work if i put one of the older ones into the 2003.

like if the gears are the same and all that. it looks the same on the outside but cant tell for sure.

i have wanted another tracker for 8 years and fuinally buy one and this happen ugh..
any help would be much apreciated thank you !!

According to what I can find, the differentials were changed in 1999.  When changing the differentials, it is mandatory that the gear ratio is the same as the rear differential.  There were several ratios available in them, depending on the transmission (automatic, or manual.)
You can find used ones fairly reasonable on line.
I would contact a local tracker club in your area and see if anyone in the club has done this swap.  Also, you can call a Chevy dealer or a local wrecking yard and have them run a cross reference on the vehicles.

Here are some sites to check out.

4 Wheel Drive/SUVs

Carl Brandt

Will discuss suspensions, lifts, lockers along with tire suggestions. Trail ratings and possible requirements needed for specific type of trails. Safety equipment and what you should carry with you. Certified off-road instructor. I am not a mechanic, and 4-Wheeling is a hobby, so if I can't answer a technical question it is due to my mechanical knowledge being related to vehicles that I have owned, or have worked on. I do not have manuals on all vehicles, and I suggest that you obtain a repair manual for mechanical problems and do some research before asking your question. Most mechanical questions can't be answered completely without looking at, or listening to the vehicle in person.

40 plus years of 4 wheeling in a variety of vehicles. At the present time, my major off-road rig is a 94 Jeep Wrangler with a spring over and a 1 1/2" suspension lift. This gives me a total lift of 7" or so. I have lockers front and rear. I have removed the track bars, and sway bar for maximum articulation. I am running a stock 2.5 ltr 4 cylinder with a Jacobs ignition along with a cold air high flow filter. It has 4.56:1 gears with a Dodge NV4500 transmission along with a 3.8:1 Atlas II transfer case. This gives me a final ratio of 105:1 in low gear/low range. Other vehicles I own, are a 96 Ford F-250 with a 6" lift, posi rear end, 36" Hummer tires, 5 speed with a fuel injected 460 ci engine, an 87 Samurai with an 8" lift, Ford 9" rear end with a spool, Chevy Dana 44 front end with an electric locker, 5.88 gears, 16% reduction in high range and a 6.5:1 low range with 35" Baja Claws, and a stock 2003 Grand Cherokee Overland. Trails I have run are the Rubicon (10 times), Dusey Ershim, Fordyce Creek trail, McGrew trail, several trails in Moab, Utah along with local monthly runs.

Lost Coast 4x4's Cal 4-Wheel Corva UFWDA Blue Ribbon Coalition

Certified off-road instructor - Certificates in engineering/electronics