50s Music/1950's or 60's song lyrics

Question
I remember a song that had the words,"ponytail you got the cutest little ponytail, it shakes when you walk it shakes when you talk woos ponytail you got the...."

I can't find the title or artist to save my life. My wife thinks I've made it up but I clearly remember those lyrics. Thanks for any help. David

Answer
I'm afraid I can't give you the definitive answer you're wanting. The only song that I can recall that even approximates your ponytail reference is "What Is Love" by the Playmates. (You may also recall that goofy novelty song that they put out, "Beep, Beep.")

In "What Is Love" the ponytail reference is something akin to this:

(Refrain: "Sways with a wiggle when she walks. . .)

"What is love? Five feet of heaven in a ponytail/
"The cutest ponytail that sways with a wiggle when she walks"

That doesn't sound like what you're looking for, but it's the best that I can come up with. In the '50's there were regional hits that were popular only in relatively localized geographic locations. For example, a huge chart-topping, No. 1 hit in Dallas, played almost hourly on Top-40 leader KLIF-1190, was "Sometimes At Night" by Jimmy Velvit. All of us who loved it couldn't understand why our friends from other parts of Texas and beyond had never heard it, or of it. Perhaps that's the case with the song you're looking for. Anyway, thanks for inquiring. Wish I could have been of more help.

--Jimmy Drake

50s Music

Jimmy Drake