80s Music/GLORIA

Hi Bong,
Just wondering, who sang who was the original performer of the song "GLORIA". I head it from a Filipino band nail-clippers during the 70s, but also heard it from the early 80s sang by Laura Branigan. Colud you tell me more about this. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Dear Bernard,

GLORIA which was a big hit for the late LAURA BRANIGAN back in 1982 was originally recorded by its songwriter UMBERTO TOZZI back in 1979. TOZZI wrote it in Italian together with his fellow songwriter GIANCARLO BIGAZZI. Another version in English was first recorded by JONATHAN KING also in 1979. In 1980, a Czech version called DIVKA GLORIA was recorded by VITEZSLAV VAVRA. In 1982, with English lyrics by TREVOR VEITCH, who also co-wrote TELEFONE (LONG DISTANCE LOVE AFFAIR by SHEENA EASTON in 1982, GLORIA became a No. 2 Billboard Hot 100 hit on December 11, 1982 from her album BRANIGAN.

80s Music

Bong Santos

I can answer just about everything from the 80`s, rock, pop, trivias, artist infos, Billboard chart positions, albums, etc. But songs that became hit in the Philippines and OPM songs are my expertise. I grew on 80`s music and still listening to 80`s music as it is the best era in music history for me. My friends call me the walking encyclopedia of 80`s music. I got books & collections of CDs and vinyl records, all from the 80`s.

Let's just say music is my life and my source is a lifetime of knowledge about 80's music and then some.

Bachelor of Arts in Mass Communications Major in Broadcast