80s Music/80s one hit wonder

Hi Erick,

Hoping you can help me track down a song or album, please.

I had a cassette in the early 90s of 80s one-hit wonders. I remember it included Absolute Beginners by Bowie and someone, and The Girl Who Seduced the World by Jon St James.

The song I most want to find had the lines "it was a way of life, 'tho not the best I'm sure" and it was possibly by The Puppet Masters, although they could well have had another song on the album.

I know this is very little to go on but I'm crossing my fingers, for at least the song and hopefully the album too!

Many thanks either way.

Hi Rachel,

The song you're looking for is "The Way Of Life" by The Puppets. The single was released in 1983 and reached #3 on the US Billboard Dance chart. Here is a link to a YouTube recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCXTiIJI11s

Regarding the album, I could not locate anything containing all three songs - "The Way Of Life", "The Girl Who Seduced the World" and "Absolute Beginners".  But I was able to find "The Way Of Life" paired with "The Girl Who..." on a 1991 Canadian compilation CD called "Hardest Hits Collection - Vol. 1".  Unfortunately, it's rare and sold at a step price online.  Here is a link to a few available for sale: http://www.discogs.com/sell/release/190124?ev=rb

An alternative, if you are OK with mp3 quality, is file-sharing. However, there are some questions of legality, so I'm definitely not promoting this route, just letting you know that the avenue is available. I won't share any link, but if you are inclined to download, the song and/or CD can be located online.  

80s Music

Erick Byrd

I can answer all questions related to hit songs and pop artists of the rock and roll era. My specialty is U.S. Billboard Top 40 chart history and one hit wonders from 1950's through the 90's. I can also research lyrics to songs. I am more knowledgeable in the area of pop and rock songs, but I am willing to research soul and country songs. I cannot answer questions relating to classical, jazz, or rap songs. Also, I'm not an expert on music videos.

I am an avid reader of Joel Whitburn Top 40 books and a collector of all pop and rock hit songs.

My educational credentials include a college degree in history and over twenty-five years of life experience as a fan of popular music.