AC/DC/Malcom's Tone and Oakland Photo

Question
Bill,

First, saw you perform with "Live Wire" in VA last Friday - killer show. Your tone was awesome.  Three questions:

1.  Is Gretch still making a Malcolm Signature Model?  If not, how much should I expect to pay for a used Duo Jet like you play with Live Wire?

2. The one and only time I saw AC/DC live was in July 1979 at the Oakland Col as part of the "Monsters of Rock" show with Aerosmith and Ted Nugent.  Do you know if quality photos of this show exist, and if show, when can I purchase them?

3.  Where are you based out of, and do you give lessons?

Cheers

Todd
Bethesda, MD

Answer
Hi Todd,

Thank you for your questions and for the kind words, and glad you enjoyed the LIVE WIRE show!

From what I understand, Gretsch is not currently making the Malcolm Young signature model any longer. A used duo-Jet can be picked up for anywhere from $600-$2500+, depending on what you are looking for. If you want to stay at a lower budget, I would recommend any of the Gretsch or Gretsch Electromatic models as long as they are one piece solid body models (no bolt on necks!)

Also, depending on the quality of the guitar, you may likely want to also change the tuning pegs, pickup(s), tailpiece, pots, and bridge. Aside from the guitar itself, the amplifier being used is essential to Malcolm's tone. No solid state! One simply cannot get the proper Malcolm tone with any solid state amp, effects pedal, or processing unit. 100% tube amplifier- Marshall (or similar- Marshall 'clone' amp head or Wizard) something to the liking of a Marshall 100 watt super lead or super bass.

Offhand, I do believe that some pro-shot photographs exist from the AC/DC concert from Oakland 1979. I am not familiar with any current music-photograph dealers to be able to recommend one, but a quick google search for AC/DC Photographs Oakland 1979 turns up a few hits.

I do not offer guitar lessons, but thanks for asking!

Best Regards, Bill

AC/DC

Bill V.