AC/DC/Australian vinyl mixes and 1976 scrapped EP?

Hello. I have a few questions. As I listen to my Aussie Dirty Deeds, I noticed that the songs are mixed differently stereo-wise. In "Jailbreak" Malcolm is more centered in the stereo mix while on the remastered CD (2003 Epic '74 Jailbreak') he's on the left channel. The guitars slide near the end of "Ride On" are easier to hear on the Australian version. Why is it this way?

Also, I read online somewhere that sometime in 1976, AC/DC were preparing songs for a possible EP. Songs that were recorded were "Carry Me Home", "Cold Hearted Man", "Dirty Eyes" and "Love At First Feel". Do you have anymore info on this forgotten EP? It intrigues me.

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your question.
Things of this nature, where you will find different mixes of songs on different versions of CD (or LP) releases of different albums are typically by accident. A sound engineer who is mixing down an album for a remaster release may not realize that the original was mixed a certain way, and the remix will end up different. Sometimes it may also be intentional, however I think the results here are mostly user error on the sound engineer, not knowing how the original mix was intended. A similar instance can be found in one of the remastered versions of AC/DC's "Go Down" track found on "Let There Be Rock", which extends the fade-out until the song ends. All other versions of "Go Down" resulted in a fade-out.

As for the thought of the band releasing the EP of extra/'B sides tracks in the 1970's, that was an idea that was brought to the table, but never came to light. There's not much else to the story aside from the thought of releasing the tracks that were not otherwise available on albums at the time.

Bill V.

I am an AC/DC history, discography and collectibles expert, and can answer any question about the band, it's members past and present, as well as questions related to bands that members were in previous to being in AC/DC. I am well versed in the bands history, album and single releases (vinyl, CD), and worldwide discography and collectibles/memorabilia, past and present AC/DC news, album sales, tour dates and tour history, and anything else about the band. I am also an AC/DC (Especially Bon Scott) autograph expert.

I have been a fan and collector of AC/DC for 30+ years and have written published articles about the band for Goldmine magazine, as well as several publications. I have interviewed past members of the band, and attended the bands Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction as a press guest. I possess one of the world's largest AC/DC collections, and plan to have my own publication about the band in the future. I was hired in 2008 by a marketing firm to help promote and market AC/DC's "BLACK ICE" release and the AC/DC "Rock Band" game in New York City. I also have participated in several other marketing and promotional campaigns for AC/DC. Most recently, I have contributed to a new book by Phil Sutcliffe "AC/DC: The Ultimate Illustrated History" as well as penning an AC/DC Collectibles article for Record Collector magazine (UK).

I run the AC/DC fan & collector's site "Highway to Hell" and am the webmaster and designer. I am the official Sony/Columbia records AC/DC forum moderator for their record companies website, and content manager for

GOLDMINE (Krause Publications)(USA) Daily Dirt (Germany) Record Collector (UK) Contributed to "AC/DC: The Ultimate Illustrated History", by Phil Sutcliffe (Voyageur Press, Oct. 15, 2010, Hardcover, 224 pages, 300+ illustrations) Treasures of AC/DC -by Jerry Ewing (Illustrations and information)

AC/DC Expert Digital content manager and AC/DC historian for official AC/DC website

I have interviewed: Mark Evans (AC/DC Bassist 1975-77), Simon Wright (AC/DC Drummer 1983-1989), Dave Evans (AC/DC singer 1974), Noel Taylor (AC/DC Drummer 1974), Neil Smith (AC/DC Bassist 1974), Larry Van Kreidt (AC/DC bassist 1973-4), John Bissett (Fraternity (w/Bon Scott) keyboardist), Vincent Lovegrove (Valentines (w/Bon Scott) singer & former AC/DC manager), Bob Defrin (AC/DC Logo designer & album cover designer for Atlantic records), Mike Fraser (AC/DC Mixing engineer), Joshua Levy (AC/DC Black Ice album cover designer) and many others