AIDS/Who gets aids

Question
Some religous nuts say that aids is spread by gays and bisexuals. IS that true? I dont believe it is. Can you tell me who is most prone to get aids?

Answer
Dear Raul,

HIV is not spread by any particular group everywhere. And you have rightly identified that these statements are not factual. A number of studies suggest that although HIV transmission can be more among who have male to male sex, the pattern is not unique in all the cases. There are many homosexuals that are prude when it comes to sex, and even more have "healthy", "monogamous" relationships. Also, interestingly, biologically women are twice more likely to become infected with HIV through unprotected heterosexual intercourse than men.

In every society, there are individuals and population groups who are more vulnerable than others to come to harm. For instance, to become sick or to experience poverty and social rejection. Generally, the very young, the elderly and people who are sick or live with a disability are especially vulnerable in every society. In some societies, women, ethnic or religious minorities, migrants or other groups can also be especially vulnerable to abuse, discrimination and even hatred. Often, it is not so much the actual composition of a particular population that makes it more vulnerable, but rather how that population is regarded by others, for example by their local community, society, at political level or by the business sector. For that reason a population who is vulnerable in
one country, could be well protected in another.

The group of people who are most-at-risk or vulnerable for HIV transmission vary according to the local context. Vulnerability to HIV is a result of a combination of factors, including more personal circumstances such as age, social mobility, education, gender identity, etc. The groups or populations who are most vulnerable to HIV transmission may include (but not limited to) people living with HIV, their partners and families, people who sell or buy sex, men who have sex with men, people who use drugs, orphans and other vulnerable children, certain categories of migrants and displaced people, and prisoners.

Gorkey

Sources:

AVERT. (2012). Retrived from http://www.avert.org/women.htm

Baeten, J. M., Kahle, E., Lingappa, J. R., Coombs, R. W., Delany-Moretlwe, S., Nakku-Joloba, E., et al. Genital HIV-1 RNA Quantity Predicts Risk of Heterosexual HIV-1 Transmission. Science translational medicine, 3(77), 77ra29.

Bonell, C., Weatherburn, P., & Hickson, F. (2000). Sexually transmitted infection as a risk factor for homosexual HIV transmission: a systematic review of epidemiological studies. International journal of STD & AIDS, 11(11), 697-700.

Browne, R., Asboe, D., Gilleece, Y., Atkins, M., Mandalia, S., Gazzard, B., et al. (2004). Increased numbers of acute hepatitis C infections in HIV positive homosexual men; is sexual transmission feeding the increase? Sexually transmitted infections, 80(4), 326-327.

Gray, R. H., Wawer, M. J., Brookmeyer, R., Sewankambo, N. K., Serwadda, D., Wabwire-Mangen, F., et al. (2001). Probability of HIV-1 transmission per coital act in monogamous, heterosexual, HIV-1-discordant couples in Rakai, Uganda. The Lancet, 357(9263), 1149-1153.

National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. (2006). HIV infection in women.

UNAIDS. (2008). Report of the Global AIDS Epidemic.

van der Straten, A., Gomez, C. A., Saul, J., Quan, J., & Padian, N. (2000). Sexual risk behaviors among heterosexual HIV serodiscordant couples in the era of post-exposure prevention and viral suppressive therapy. AIDs, 14(4), F47-F54.

WHO, UNFPA, UNAIDS and IPPF. (2005). Sexual and reproductive health and HIV/AIDS: A framework for priority linkages.

AIDS

Gorkey Gourab