Abortion/life threatening pregnancy?

I made an appointment to get an abortion at 5weeks pregnant, but i was highly certain i had a misscarriage a few days after scheduling it. I bled heavely, way more than my normal period with some clots and cramping mostly on left side. when i went in the a. clinic they did an ultrasound and the pregnancy was still there but there was a good amount of tissue and clotting around it. they said even if i wanted this pregnancy it would have to of been terminated anyway because it was life-threatening to me. i want to know why it was life threatening and what is the name of this condition i had...also, if it will affect me in the future when i want to have kids.

It will not affect a future pregnancy. From the description, you had a missed abortion.  That means you started to miscarriage and all the tissue did not pass.  The pregnancy sac was not passed.  I cannot be more specific without seeing the ultrasound.  No need to worry.  

Doctor Early Options

We are a group of family doctors who provide abortion care for over a decade. We can answer any health or medical related questions about early abortion, including the aspiration procedure, the abortion pill (RU486), or surgical abortion. We run a practice called Early Options, located in New York City: The practice is dedicated to making early abortion part of mainstream medical care. There are other family doctors around the United States who practice a similar approach to early abortion care: see Please do not ask "private" questions so that other women can learn from your experience. Please tell me what country you are from so that we can better help you.

Experience in the area: We are all board certified family doctors who have special training in early abortion and reproductive health. Dr. Joan Fleischman is the founder of Early Options ( dedicated to making early abortion part of mainstream medical care. Organizations: National Abortion Federation American Association of Family Physicians

Dr. Joan Fleischman, Founder M.D., Harvard Medical School M.P.A., John F. Kennedy School of Government