Abortion/possibly pregnant after surgical abortion

Question
I had a surgical abortion on September 14, 2012. The dr said I was 4weeks (although I think I was 6weeks). I did not have a ride afterwards, so I had no choice but to walk home (approx.2 miles). I continued bleeding and had abdominal cramps off and on. I had unprotected sex about 1 week after my abortion (I was bleeding off and on). I continued having unprotected sex everyday thereafter. I think I randomly started my birth control (ortho-cyclen) on September 27 or 29? Not too sure but I took it for about 3 or 4 days consecutively, then I skipped some days, took 2 doses as soon as I remembered (not sure of the date) and just stopped taking them after that. I continued bleeding/spotting up until 1 week prior to my period. My period started on October 16 lasted about 4 days. I continued having unprotected sex both during and after my period (everyday). The last day I had unprotected sex was on November 1, 2012. It is now November 20, and I have not started my period. I took a home pregnancy test a few days ago and another today and both were negative. Would a home test show positive if I were pregnant by now? Or is there a chance its still too soon? Please help! Thank you.

Answer
Hello, Zhaleh,

You might as well not bother with the birth control pills. If you skip one day, you cannot make up for it by taking two the next day. You are at risk for pregnancy. This is a major reason why birth control pills don't work well, especially for women who are not married. Unmarried women tend to be erratic like that. Don't think "protection" will make you any safer. It won't. It doesn't work. You are living very dangerously.

A woman normally ovulates 14 days before her period will start. She will be fertile on either side of that by a couple of days. Let's assume worst case, that you ovulated on November 1. You might have conceived a day or two later. This puts your period as due to start on November 15. Or, you could have ovulated on November 3, which would put your period as due to start on the 17th. Normally, a pregnancy test won't register much until about a week after the period is supposed to start. Some tests are more sensitive than others. The earliest you might see a positive, then, is in a couple of days.

You deserve better than abortion. But if you continue doing what you are doing now, you will face pregnancy again. You may already be facing pregnancy. You deserve to live free of the fear of pregnancy. You also risked your life walking home after abortion. Birth control pills can also cause serious health problems and even death. I don't know if you are married or not, but if you are not, why are you letting your partner use your body like that? Having sex during a period can increase the chance of infection because the uterus is open, and if he has ever had sex with anyone else, even if he hasn't told you, you are at risk for a sexually transmitted disease. There are about 50 of them. He could even be carrying more than one.

Since you are still taking so many chances with your life, I'd like to see you get some counseling. There are organizations all over the United States that provide counseling for women in your situation. They can help you deal with any emotional repercussions of your abortion, and they can help you get your life back on track. You have a future. If you keep on like you are doing, your future will be bleak. Please don't do this anymore! Please take care of yourself. You can find an organization near you by visiting this web site:

http://www.optionline.org/

Please do this! Please keep in touch and let me know how you do.

Abortion

Pat G