Abortion/Concerned and regretful

Question
I had a surgical abortion at seven weeks in June 2010. I was so confused and scared at the time. But, my boyfriend and I made the decision that we should end the pregnancy. We had to drive three hours away to planned parenthood that I had never been to before. I was given the choice of medical or surgical (cutterage & suction.) The medical abortion option seemed even more painful and drawn out I couldn't do that.
I decided that i wanted it done and over with ASAP. So I mindlessly and numbly I went through with it.
Today I am worried because I did not go to a follow up appointment and I am wondering if I healed properly. I passed clots aboout four days later and have had pretty normal-regular periods. I have had one normal pap smear, and am due for another very soon. Should I talk to my doctor about my concern that maybe there is some scarring left from the process? Sometimes I can feel a dulls pain in the spot where the fetus was removed, this is two and a half years after the abortion. I was just so scared when I did this that I feel like I was way under informed, mostly because I didn"t ask any questions at the time. Now I want to know am I fertile and would scarring in my uterus reduce the chance of getting pregnant?
Will a simple pelvic exam be enough to see scarring deep inside the uterus? The doctor who did my last pelvic exam was a doctor at planned parenthood, but was not the same one. She said there were no signs that I had an abortion or that it would interfere with any future pregnancies.
thanks for any advice!

Answer
Hello, Chelsea,

I am really sorry you went through this. It is totally unfair. Planned Parenthood NEVER tells a woman the truth, and never tells the truth any other time, either. (A pill abortion at 7 weeks often doesn't work, and then they have to finish it with a surgical abortion, or at least so they say, so at least you were spared that much.) Don't worry about not going to the follow up appointment. They would lie to you then, too. When she told you that your abortion wouldn't interfere with any future pregnancies, she outright lied to you. They want your money. If they told the truth, few women would get an abortion.

I don't have any information that abortion causes cervical cancer, though I wouldn't rule it out. There just isn't any information. So a normal pap smear doesn't surprise me.

A pelvic exam cannot see scarring in the uterus itself. The only way they'd be able to see that would be to insert a tiny camera into the uterus and look around, and there is plenty of chance they wouldn't cover all the surface area, so there could be scars where they didn't look. The most critical scars are to the cervix, which they force open. This causes many tiny tears, and makes the cervix weak so that it often cannot hold a full sized baby. The remedy is cerclage, when the doctor fastens the cervix shut until time for birth. Scars can prevent a baby from attaching if there is scar tissue where the baby would like to attach. Sometimes this results in the baby attaching too low in the uterus, which means the woman has placenta previa. If the placenta partly or completely covers the cervix, it can be torn loose during labor. The remedy is a Caesarian section. It is necessary to save the life of both mother and child. Occasionally, as the uterus grows, the placenta will no longer be over the cervix. Another problem that can occur as a result of surgical abortion is tubal pregnancy. This is when a scar partly covers the Fallopian tube, so that sperm can get in, but the must larger egg cannot get out. This will require emergency surgery. It is a life-threatening condition. And a surgical abortion can make a woman sterile.

Another consequence of abortion is a much greater likelihood of getting a form of breast cancer that won't respond to the three common types of standard medical therapy. To help guard against this possibility, I suggest taking Vitamin D3 the rest of your life. A dose of about 5000IU is a good place to start. You will have to have your blood tested occasionally to make sure you are not getting too much. You should have about 75 ng/ml. 100 is too much. Also, avoid mammograms. They can cause, trigger, or spread breast cancer. Get thermograms instead. They are totally safe, more reliable, and pick up a problem years earlier (of course, if you were to get a positive indication, it is wise to stay away from standard medical treatment and look for alternative treatment. There are a lot of good alternative remedies that will completely heal it.)

There is help available. This includes medical help (learn what the damage might have been), and counseling, and because of your regret especially, I strongly urge you to get counseling. There are organizations in Colorado that will provide these services. To find one near you, please visit this web site:

http://www.optionline.org/

I will also be here for you, to talk to you. You deserved better, and I hope that you will be able to heal emotionally as well. I know you can. Many women have healed, and I know some of them. It is a horrible thing, but there is always forgiveness and grace. Please do keep in touch. We can talk any time. Take care.

Abortion

Pat G