Abortion/Heavy bleeding & clots- post abortion

I am a 22 year old female,  I had an abortion roughly 3 weeks ago. I had very minimal bleeding and cramps. However, 3 days ago I started to bleed very heavily and I began passing large clots (size of a golf ball or kiwi) with some small sized clots as well

I called the clinic and they said this was normal because I most likely have started menstruating. However, a few moments ago my blood flow became very heavy (soaked an overnight pad in less than 15 minutes) with large clots and severe cramping. My blood is a bright red color.

I do not have a fever or body chills.

Is this normal or should I be concerned and make a trip to the emergency room?

Thank you.

Tara, I'm not sure that the clinic is giving you good advice. They should have at least taken you in for an exam. If you are still bleeding, you should either go to your regular doctor or if you think it's necessary, you can go to the emergency room. You will have to make that decision for yourself. I am worried about you, so I will be praying. Please email me at and let me know what happens.

Diane Cheryl

Diane Cheryl

Please email me at if I am "maxed out" on questions. I will answer as soon as I can. Please be patient because I get many emails. If I don't answer within a reasonable time, please email me again and put ALLEXPERTS in the subject line of your email. Thanks. Please contact me if you would like information about abortion procedures. What are your questions or concerns about an abortion? I also would be able to help with resources and networking. I can provide insight about emotional and psychological aspects of abortion. I would like to help you with up-to-date info and advice. I haven't had an abortion myself, but have 3 close friends who have experienced abortion and I can relate through them. I can also provide resources if you have experienced any post-abortion problems; medical, psychological, emotional, or spiritual. PRIVATE QUESTIONS ARE WELCOME!

I have almost 25 years of experience in counseling women in unexpected pregnancy situations. I also provide resources for PASS (Post Abortion Stress Syndrome).

Illinois Valley Community College (LaSalle-Peru, Illinois), Austin Community College and Travel Agent Degree.
Almost 25 years of on-the-job training onsite at abortion clinics and volunteering at pregnancy resource centers. Sonogram training and Post Abortion Counseling Training. Have done research with hundreds of women for almost 25 years regarding abortion, pregnancy and post-abortion healing.