Abortion/its been 11months and still no menstrol cycle after my abortion

Question
I had a surgical abortion in Dec 2011 its now Dec 2012 and i still have not started my menstrual cycle.Is this normal? I'm 25 years old and was 7 weeks when my pregnancy was terminated. The doctor put me on medication called progesterone 5mg for ten days and still have not started my period. its been over a month now scene the medication. what else should i do ? Ive never had and missed periods and am a healthy person..

Answer
Hello, Jacqueline,

Having an abortion is not normal, and not having a period for a year afterwards is definitely not normal, nor is it that common from what I can tell.

I can't tell you over the internet what the problem is, and neither can anyone else. But the first thing that comes to mind is the possibility that there is scarring over the opening of the uterus into the cervix, which is preventing blood from escaping. Another possibility is that you may have an eating disorder as a result of the emotional reaction to the abortion that may be causing malnutrition. For example, if you have anorexia, or if you are very thin, you may not have a period because there is insufficient hormones to cause it to happen. Or, if you exercise excessively, that will also stop the period. Vegans are often malnourished (in my opinion, veganism is total malnutrition) and won't have periods. They aren't getting enough cholesterol in their diet to produce the necessary hormones, and sooner or later the body loses its capacity to compensate by producing the necessary cholesterol. So there are different things you need to explore and ask about. I will be happy to go into more depth on any of the things I have mentioned. Ultimately, you will probably have to have a doctor determine the cause.

I hope you find out what is wrong and are able to correct it. Please let me know what you find out.

Abortion

Pat G