QUESTION: I want to reply and follow up on the artical about MIfeprisitone to the man who;s wife took it and changed her mind.  I also did the same thing in the year 2000 and changed my mind, I had the same symtoms and same situation as the story of the man and his wife.  My child is now 11 years old and everything is fine.

Please do to worry.
I was also worried but everything is okay .
Enjoy your beautiful family  that god gave you and thank god that he protected your little one x
all the best wishes

ANSWER: Hello, Joanne,

I know of a number of cases where a woman changed her mind, and was able to have a healthy baby. It's not that uncommon. You have a very short time to change your mind, but if you get medical care in the next couple of days, it may be possible, provided you haven't taken the second set of pills. Even if a woman has, there is still sometimes a chance. The window during which the pills will even work is very narrow anyway, and if a woman takes the pills outside of that window, they may not do anything at all.

I imagine you meant "Please do not worry". Worry is natural, even when a woman is just experiencing a normal pregnancy, and hasn't tried to end it in any way. Since the mother cannot see her child, she cannot see that her child is OK. So we worry.

There are always better answers than abortion, and a woman and her child deserve better. There is help available in most countries in the world, and this makes it possible for a woman to have her child. If she chooses adoption, that is a good but difficult choice. Most of the organizations that help women will help her either way, and often, things can be worked out so a woman can mother her child.

Congratulations on your child!

Your message was a wonderful Christmas present for me. Thank you for writing! May I make it public? It may give another woman hope!

Thank you for your email, yes please do make it public (although please could you remove my email address to make my ID private and confidential')
I would like to also add the following to anyone else who is in this situation, to offer any support.

During the time of taking MIfeprisitone: A letter of support to anyone searchig for answers right now or find themselves in the same situation as I was. Please read my story and do not panic or listen to doctors because they will not always give you the support you need.

I felt that I was very badly misinformed by the hospital during the time when I was deciding whether to keep my baby. It was a traumatic time and very sad for me.   I was very confused and in no fit state of mind to make such an important decision as this.  In fact deep down I did not want to go through with such a procedure and just needed more support. I was confused.  Anybody thinking of taking mifeprisitone should rethink, it is horrible and not a quick process.  Also there is a gap between taking the first part and the second so If you regret what you ve done and think you've made a mistake after the first pill you will be in  the same situation as myself:  a person that never returned for the second.  There are lots of people that are in this situation but there is not a lot of research about what happened to them after so thats why I'm writing this.

When I arrived for my first pill Mifeprisitone I waited in the waiting room and around me people were seated in a small 6 seat  waiting room waiting to abort their babies, there were curtain around some people and some had pans attached to their seats- this was tramatic to watch. The nurse called me into a private room to sign many heavily fine printed documents stating I would not hold the hospital responsible and that I consented.  She was very detached and unemotional and asked me to sign the paperwork. I don't blame them for what happened but I do think that they should have seen I was not in an emotional state to make such a decision as this.   While she was talking to me and asking me questions she handed me the pill I was still answering her questions and distracted and  before I knew it I was taking the pill and still talking then I realised I had already swallowed the pill and I started to cry.  
She called my friend in and I said I wanted to leave, she spoke with my friend about what I had to do next as I was already leaving and could not stay there anymore.  I should have vomited at that point and got it out but I did not think of that at that time.  
The next few days were the hardest as I did not know if I had  done any harm and the hospital would not give me any information on this.  My family and I researched and researched on the effects on continuing with a pregnancy after mifeprisitone and there was no information available.  It was a very hard decision to continue because we had no more support from the hospital about what could happen.  This DOES NOT mean you child would be harmed it just means the hospital does not want you to blame them if anything did happen.  We trusted in Fate and god and if our baby could survive Mifeprisitone then we were certainly not going to end the pregnancy just because we had doubts.

My baby is now grown up, healthy and beautiful and I've also read that there are other children the same.  I think if Mifeprostiton was going to affect the baby it would have already done so but if the pregnancy continues then this mean it did not affect the baby.

Hospitals do not want to be blamed for anythign so they will say they don;t know or dont advise you to continue, if I had listened to them I would not have my beautiful 11 year old now.
If you've made a decision to keep you baby then stay away from anyone who will go against your decision.  I did!
because it's very hard when you are confused you don;t know who to listen to.

When I was in this situation I was searching for these words and could not find them so if anyone is searching for these words then you will be happy to read my story.
Every mother and father will worry, worry is normal.  but be clear about all of these things and don't be fooled into making the wrong decision by health professionals.

Good luck with your beautiful little one and hope this brings you some comfort

ANSWER: Dear Joanne,

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for telling your story! I hope that more women will speak out. It is also encouraging to me that you didn't get any kind of medical treatment to help your child, and yet he is still fine.

You are so right about women not being in any emotional condition to make such a permanent decision. I wish more women would come to me BEFORE they take any pills. The pills are so dangerous that I feel a sense of panic any time the woman tells me she has already taken pills. People aren't taught how to weigh their decisions anymore, and people who want to make money selling abortion pills never tell the truth about what they can do.

Do you remember offhand how far along you were, from your last menstrual period, when you took the pill?

Don't worry about your email address. They don't allow the experts to get them, and they are stripped out of messages. It won't be visible.

May God richly bless you.

I agree with what you say.  
No I did not receive any medical treatment whatsoever afterwards, for two reasons, one being that I did not want to step foot back into the place (I felt very protective over my baby after that) and second because they had said there is nothing I can do now and i'd probably lose the baby within a few days. it was horrible.  A few days later my family recommended I went to have a scan and the nurse checked me and said not to be sad if there was no heart beat.  However, she confirmed then that there was a strong heartbeat and a lively little baby and I never returned there again after that.

I was trying hard to work it out but if I remember right I think I was 7 weeks.
I remember after taking it I had bad cramps like period pains, I layed down for 3 days because I didnt want to make it worse. there was a tiny bit  spec of pregnancy blob that came out but that was it, then the cramp stopped in one day and the pregnancy continued.

The hospital did not advise or help me after that they just said I can continue with the pregnancy if I wanted to but they didnt advise it as they didn't know what could happen.
My family just thanked them  for their advice and told them I would be continuing with my pregnancy none the less.

Hi, Joanne,

The pills often don't do anything more than cause some bleeding and cramps when a woman is 7 weeks. In the United States, it is even illegal to give them to a woman who is at least 7 weeks. If any woman reading this is already 7 weeks, don't bother to take the pills. It is too late. Maybe they will cause abortion and maybe they won't, but in any case, it's just too risky. There are often women who will simply die from a pill abortion, but their deaths are covered up. Those unethical medical practitioners will often try to follow up with a surgical abortion in a case like yours because they don't want to admit they failed, and they are concerned about problems. In some countries, there could be legal repercussions. But a sizable percentage of women who take pills this late would probably be just fine if the abortionists would just leave them alone. I have even talked to women here who panicked and let them then do a surgical abortion, and I just cringe, because that only makes matter worse. Surgical abortions are also very dangerous. And the lies never, ever stop. None of these people will ever tell a woman she stands a chance of having a normal child, and as you experienced, they won't do a thing to help a woman in such a case. They all simply lie and say the baby cannot be saved. The whole thing makes me furious! They treat us women worse than dogs!

Sometimes the only thing a woman can do is tell everyone that she isn't going to do anything; she has made up her mind, and she won't discuss it anymore. Other people panic, too, and lots of times relatives think that allowing a pregnancy to continue will cause them shame. All I can say about that is that it is better to have a living relative and a living baby than to worry about shame, and in any case, they have nothing to be ashamed of, because they didn't get pregnant. It takes a lot of courage to do what you did, and the fact that it does take courage means that shame is a silly thing for anyone to feel. I can tell you from personal experience that protecting the child in such a case brings huge rewards. I don't worry about the "shame". People accept and nurture the child, including the grandparents, ESPECIALLY the grandparents. I have two grandchildren I love from the bottom of my heart, who were born under "shameful" circumstances, and I praise God their mothers let them live. They are totally and completely precious! I don't see them any differently than I do my other grandchildren. And I am there to help if I am needed. And I have been.

Obviously, conceiving when a woman is not married is a source of shame, and considering that it is difficult to raise a child alone, it is much better to wait until marriage. But when the woman becomes pregnant, she now faces a dilemma. She must either face the situation, often alone without any support whatsoever, or she must do something that she may regret for the rest of her life. Because women are in a state of panic, it is rare for a woman to be able to think of the long term consequences of her actions. They tell women abortion is easy, and if it's legal, they tell her it is safe. Nothing could be further from the truth. Abortion is NOT safe, even if it is legal. I know in UK, most medical personnel don't think anything of just destroying two lives (along with the lives of all the relatives once they stop to think about it) because abortion is legal. It is such a trap. Women deserve better than abortion.

Keep on speaking out. Your voice is vitally important. And thank you so much!

Pat G

I can help women with the consideration of their decision, and with resources, and I can share my own experiences as the mother of seven and grandmother of eleven. My approach is to show love and concern, and help women work through the issues, emotional, spiritual, practical. I also help women deal with boyfriend and family issues. I am not a doctor, but I have done extensive medical research, so I may be able to help with information. I am female. When you write, if you are or were pregnant, please tell me how far along you were or are, and if you have had an abortion, please tell me what kind. Thank you.

I have been working with women who are considering abortion for several years. I also work with women who have had abortions. Our family has also experienced adoption, so I can talk about that as well.

I am mostly self-taught. I also studied midwifery for awhile. I have spent years doing research on this topic. In fact, I have been doing research and working in this area since the early 1970's. I have been helping women online for a few years, under the guidance of a woman who was formally training in counseling.