Abortion/Option of surgical abortion after medical.

Hi there,
I have currently had and been through the medical abortion. I found out I was pregnant at 4 weeks and went in for the medical abortion at 6-7 weeks. I was sick after taking the second pill and bled very little during my stay in hospital. I was told I could go home and I will probably miscarry a few days later, which I didn't. I am currently experiencing no bleeding. I have an appointment today where I will have another scan and they will discuss the options of a surgical procedure. Im very worried that if the baby still has a heartbeat, I will struggle to go through with the surgery. When I found out I was pregnant I was in complete turmoil with my boyfriend and originally decided to keep the child. However, I struggle with the concept and realised that I couldn't cope with even the thought of a baby. And now the abortion has failed, it seems to come across as a miracle this baby could have survived. I am so scared with the thought of my child not having a heartbeat and the guilt I will feel. I know you have been asked this before but what are the chances of the baby being disabled, should I decide to keep it again?

Hello, Melissa,

If I were you, I would not keep the appointment! If you do and your baby still has a heartbeat, then tell them, "Thanks but no thanks." If the baby is fine, there is no need to take any action. There are organizations in UK that will help you keep your baby; they have relationships with doctors who are knowledgeable in this area. This appears to be the closest to you:

Crossroads Pregnancy counselling Centre (2568) (7.9 mi)
13 Alliance Terrace Wellingborough NN8 4RA
01933 227028

If this doesn't work for you, go to and ask for help.

It is unlikely there will be any significant harm. Your baby was already somewhat developed, and while nobody can rule out any damage whatsoever, there would not be any obvious major damage. If you are measuring your pregnancy from the day you think you conceived, then your baby was completely formed. The doctor can give you supplements of progesterone, if needed, until the baby is completely replacing yours with his own.

A woman should never have an abortion she doesn't want. When a woman first learns she is pregnant, she may go into a panic and make a bad decision, but once that point is past and she can think clearly, she may have a very different view about what is happening.

There is another very good reason for not having surgery. It is dangerous. It can cause significant additional damage to your body. And if your baby is still alive, then it would also subject you to risks you do not presently have, including the risk of breast cancer and auto-immune disease, not to mention risk to your future children.

So please get a recommendation for a doctor from Crossroads. Let them provide you with the necessary emotional and spiritual support.

Please keep in touch and let me know how both of you are doing. I will pray for you. Take care.

Pat G

I can help women with the consideration of their decision, and with resources, and I can share my own experiences as the mother of seven and grandmother of eleven. My approach is to show love and concern, and help women work through the issues, emotional, spiritual, practical. I also help women deal with boyfriend and family issues. I am not a doctor, but I have done extensive medical research, so I may be able to help with information. I am female. When you write, if you are or were pregnant, please tell me how far along you were or are, and if you have had an abortion, please tell me what kind. Thank you.

I have been working with women who are considering abortion for several years. I also work with women who have had abortions. Our family has also experienced adoption, so I can talk about that as well.

I am mostly self-taught. I also studied midwifery for awhile. I have spent years doing research on this topic. In fact, I have been doing research and working in this area since the early 1970's. I have been helping women online for a few years, under the guidance of a woman who was formally training in counseling.