Abortion/Post Surgical Abortion Blues

I'm 21 y.o. with no children. On 10/27/12 I had asurgical abortion at 9wks2days pregnant. I opted for local anesthesia. Directly after the procedure I had no bleeding but very very mild spotting for exactly 2 weeks (11/10/12) then no spotting or bleeding at all for a week. Due to extenuating circumstances I was not able to return to the clinic for a follow up (i know it was wrong). This past weekend I had cramping to the extent of my regular period with normal bleeding for 2 days and it stopped. Today, 12/2/12, I was ou. With friends drinking a beer when I giggled and felt like I peed myself. I went to the bathroom and to ny surprise, my panties were full of blood and I passed 1 large clot into the toilet. I was unnerved and immediately went home and cleaned up and used a pad. I don't have any pain or cramping just random bleeding. Is there a possible infection? Should I go to the emergency room? Could there be remnantpregnancy tissue still in my uterus even though I haven't had any fevers, chills, or any other complications? Please help

Hello, Takera,

No need to apologize for not going back for a follow up. That was NOT a mistake.

There is really no way anyone will be able to tell you why this happened, over the internet. But I can make a guess. My guess is that they didn't complete the abortion, and what you passed was part that they missed. This kind of unexpected bleeding is fairly common. Probably whatever that was had been preventing the blood from coming out.

It wouldn't hurt to check with a doctor to make sure you are all right. Don't go back to the clinic, whatever you do! Go to a doctor who understands complications from abortion. I doubt if it was an infection, but there is always the possibility that they caused more serious injury to your uterus than they intended. Unless you continue to bleed heavily, I don't know that it is necessary to go to the emergency room, but try to have someone stay with you. Then if you do start to bleed heavily, that person should take you to the emergency room immediately. If you don't know of a good doctor, you can get a referral by asking an organization near you that helps women in your situation. You can find one near you by going to this web site:

If you still feel uneasy about it, you can go ahead and go to the emergency room.

There is also the possibility you COULD have an infection that hasn't manifested itself yet, because some infections don't really reveal themselves for awhile. To check on that possibility, ask the doctor to run tests for sexually transmitted diseases. A woman can get an STD from an abortion, because the abortionists rarely clean their instruments properly, if at all. Also, you should not be having sex. This can introduce infection, and in any case, if you do, you may end up right back where you started. There are no completely reliable methods for preventing pregnancy except for not having sex.

Abortion is dangerous and causes some serious long term medical problems as well. Please do not ever have an abortion again. You deserve better.

Because you don't have any children, your abortion will make it much more likely you will get breast cancer. This is a serious risk because it kills 1/4 of its victims, and hits a woman before she is 40. To help safeguard yourself from this possibility, it would be wise to get some Vitamin D3 on a daily basis. 5000IU is a good dose to start. You will need to have your blood checked occasionally to make sure you are not getting too much. You should have about 75 ng/ml in your blood, but 100 is too much. Also, you should have regular thermograms. Do not get a mammogram. This can trigger or spread breast cancer. Thermograms are more accurate and will detect a problem earlier. If you do have a problem, look for an alternative cure. It is safer and more effective. Standard medical care won't work anyway, because it will be triple negative, which means that all the three major methods of treatment will not work. That's why it is so deadly.

Also, when you do get pregnant again, you need to let your doctor know you have had a surgical abortion. You will need to have good prenatal care. There are things the doctor can do to minimize the chance that your abortion will harm that child.

Please take care of yourself, and let me know how you do. Feel free to ask any other questions you have on your mind.

Pat G

I can help women with the consideration of their decision, and with resources, and I can share my own experiences as the mother of seven and grandmother of eleven. My approach is to show love and concern, and help women work through the issues, emotional, spiritual, practical. I also help women deal with boyfriend and family issues. I am not a doctor, but I have done extensive medical research, so I may be able to help with information. I am female. When you write, if you are or were pregnant, please tell me how far along you were or are, and if you have had an abortion, please tell me what kind. Thank you.

I have been working with women who are considering abortion for several years. I also work with women who have had abortions. Our family has also experienced adoption, so I can talk about that as well.

I am mostly self-taught. I also studied midwifery for awhile. I have spent years doing research on this topic. In fact, I have been doing research and working in this area since the early 1970's. I have been helping women online for a few years, under the guidance of a woman who was formally training in counseling.