Abortion/Abortion and Birth Control

Hi, I just wanted to ask when is the best time to take birth control pills following the abortion. Let's say that I had an abortion using a pill can I take the birth control pill as
well even if I'm still bleeding. I wanted to take thr birth control pill to regulate my next period. Thank you.

Hello, Rose,

Taking the birth control pill to regulate your next period is not a good idea, especially after abortion. The pills you have already taken have already caused damage to the delicate balance of hormones in your body. The women I have talked to who took the birth control pill after a pill abortion report that the birth control pill doesn't help regulate their periods. You should be prepared for unexpected heavy bleeding any time during the weeks following your abortion.

Birth control pills can cause cardiovascular problems. They can cause heart attacks, strokes, and problems with blood and circulation. That's for starters. I don't recommend them for any reason.

Now suppose you did take the pill. Then when you had bleeding, you would have NO IDEA whether it's a period or some problem. I can see the possibility you could get pregnant again (assuming you continue to have sex) and still bleed.

Just take care of yourself. Don't take any more pills. You deserve better. All those pills are dangerous and can kill a woman.

Please keep in touch and let me know how you are doing.

Pat G

I can help women with the consideration of their decision, and with resources, and I can share my own experiences as the mother of seven and grandmother of eleven. My approach is to show love and concern, and help women work through the issues, emotional, spiritual, practical. I also help women deal with boyfriend and family issues. I am not a doctor, but I have done extensive medical research, so I may be able to help with information. I am female. When you write, if you are or were pregnant, please tell me how far along you were or are, and if you have had an abortion, please tell me what kind. Thank you.

I have been working with women who are considering abortion for several years. I also work with women who have had abortions. Our family has also experienced adoption, so I can talk about that as well.

I am mostly self-taught. I also studied midwifery for awhile. I have spent years doing research on this topic. In fact, I have been doing research and working in this area since the early 1970's. I have been helping women online for a few years, under the guidance of a woman who was formally training in counseling.