Abortion/lower back pain and bleeding after abortion

Question
A friend had a surgical abortion a month ago. Since then she has bEen complaining of lower back pain and bleeding. The bleeding isn't constant but like 4days a week and she never really knows when to expect it. What could be wrong?

Answer
Hello, Tinuke,

This is potentially serious. Abortion always harms a woman's body, but sometimes the harm is greater than what they intended. She should go see a doctor, other than the one who did the abortion. Abortion is bad medicine, so doctors who will do one cannot be trusted. Nor would that doctor want to admit he caused undue injury.

If I'd have to hazard a guess, I would say the bleeding is because of a tear in the cervix (there are always tiny tears; I'm talking about a bigger one) or a perforation in the uterus. These injuries are COMMON. The back pain could be caused by any number of things. It could be the uterus trying to clamp down so the bleeding will stop. It could be because of injury to the uterus or other internal organs. The bleeding can become life-threatening if she does too much of it. If she is feeling weak, she needs to see the doctor immediately (not tomorrow).

Please let me know how she does. Take good care of her.

Abortion

Pat G