I took mifepristone at round 7weeks i had brown coloured staining occasionaly mixed with fresh blood for around 3/4weeks but no clots. My pregnancy is now 14weeks and im worried at the effects on the baby. What could happen ?

Hello, sarah,

It is unlikely that anything happened as a result of taking Mifepristone. The pill works by cutting off the supply of progesterone to the baby. But if the baby has started to make his own progesterone, the pill won't cause an abortion. There is no guarantee that a baby won't develop a problem, regardless of what you do, but the odds are that if your baby does have any problems, the pills are not responsible.

I recommend you get some decent prenatal care. They will probably take an ultrasound, and will be able to tell about any serious problems. If it turns out there are any, please be aware that if you are unable to handle it, there are people willing to adopt your child. There is also help available, if you decide to parent your child. But the chance you will have a normal baby is great.

Please keep in touch and let me know how you both are doing. Take care.

Pat G

I can help women with the consideration of their decision, and with resources, and I can share my own experiences as the mother of seven and grandmother of eleven. My approach is to show love and concern, and help women work through the issues, emotional, spiritual, practical. I also help women deal with boyfriend and family issues. I am not a doctor, but I have done extensive medical research, so I may be able to help with information. I am female. When you write, if you are or were pregnant, please tell me how far along you were or are, and if you have had an abortion, please tell me what kind. Thank you.

I have been working with women who are considering abortion for several years. I also work with women who have had abortions. Our family has also experienced adoption, so I can talk about that as well.

I am mostly self-taught. I also studied midwifery for awhile. I have spent years doing research on this topic. In fact, I have been doing research and working in this area since the early 1970's. I have been helping women online for a few years, under the guidance of a woman who was formally training in counseling.