Abortion/period after an abortion

Question
i had an abortion on dec 26 2012 i started taking my birth control pills that sunday they told me too, i then had sex jan 14 15 16 and 22 probably a total of 10 times, my pills are done as of jan 23 2013 but i havent started my period yet, is it possible that i am pregnant? i know the first month of pills are very effective so im just curious

Answer
Hello, amy,

In my opinion, the birth control pill isn't all that reliable. Studies have also shown that when the pill is used by an unmarried woman, the reliability drops. Thre are also significant risks involved, medical risks, including blood abnormalities that can kill a young woman.

It is possible you are pregnant. It is also possible that your period simply hasn't started yet, because it takes a day or two after the pills are stopped (or you start taking the sugar pills) for the period to actually start. Hormone levels have to drop. Remember, this is the first day you didn't take a pill.

If you don't want to have another abortion and you are not married, the only reliable way to prevent it is not to have sex. It is possible you enjoy sex, but in that case, you can get the same high by doing a moderate amount of exercise, which is good for you and doesn't endanger your future like having sex might. Abortion is also dangerous and leaves lasting medical damage. If you are married, you should take a course in natural family planning. It is the most reliable method aside from abstinence, provided you chart faithfully, and avoid sex when you are likely to be fertile. You can't be using hormones, though. The method doesn't work when you do that.

If you are having sex for another reason (the need for love or for the relationship, or because your boyfriend/partner wants it and you don't want to say No for whatever reason), then have a talk with your boyfriend/partner. You deserve a man who will respect your body and your integrity, and who will protect you from abortion.

There are organizations and people in your area that will provide you various services you might like to have. This includes post-abortion counseling, instruction in natural family planning, and other services. Let me know if you would like to avail yourself of any of these, and I will point you in the right direction. No more abortions! Try to find a safer way to prevent pregnancy. Please take care of yourself and keep yourself safe.

Abortion

Pat G