Abortion/Please Help

Dear Dr Pat G
my wife and i have decided to have an abortion at 6 weeks almost.
she took 3 tablets of Mifeprostone and exactly after 48 hours she took 2 tablets of zitotec misoprostol (200mcg) and nothing happned except some light cramps. again after 12 hours she took 2 more misoprostol and some moderate bleeding started and passed very very few clots. not much at all. then it began to lighten again like normal period. she is sure that the pragnancy didnt end and we live in a country where abortions can be prosecuted. please help.

Hello, Evan,

Please know that I am not a doctor. I am a medical researcher.

Why are you allowing your wife to take poisonous pills? You have the responsibility to protect her. You two are married. There is no reason she shouldn't have a child. If you are experiencing some kind of problems and need help, there are better answers. Let me know what kind of problems you are facing and I will see if I can help.

The reason why abortion is illegal is because it is dangerous. It can kill the mother as well as the child. The laws protect women from butchers. Any kind of abortion can kill the mother. It can also seriously harm a woman's future children. It can cause future miscarriages or severe birth defects. Not only that, but complications are common, and the medical care needed for complications can be very expensive. Not only that, but abortion can destroy your marriage. A woman is six times as likely to commit suicide after abortion, than she would be if she carried the baby and gave birth. It can cause other serious emotional problems. I experienced the horrible nightmares some women experience, and I wouldn't wish those off on my worst enemy.

It is common for a woman not to want to be pregnant when she first learns she is pregnant. It is caused by hormones. It is also common for a man not to want the pregnancy until he can see for himself that his wife is pregnant. Usually, a man won't experience the pregnancy until the second trimester (three months in the middle of pregnancy). You two need to give each other a chance to welcome this child.

If she is 6 weeks since you think she conceived, the pills won't work anyway. Your baby would be fully formed, just very small. If she is 6 weeks since her last menstrual period, then the pills may still not work, because sometimes they don't, even that early. If they don't work, they probably haven't caused any damage, and you shouldn't worry about possible damage. She will still have pregnancy hormones for awhile. She can test for pregnancy if she isn't sure, in a week or two. If the test is still positive, she should wait a week and test again, and see if the test is weaker than it was the week before. Also watch her symptoms and let me know if she has any unusual symptoms, or if she bleeds again. She should be prepared for sudden, unexpected heavy bleeding. Also, she should eat foods with red hot peppers in them, or take cayenne (an herbal supplement) until the bleeding has stopped for good.

Please take care of her. Don't poison her. Please. Let me know how she is doing, and keep in touch.

Pat G

I can help women with the consideration of their decision, and with resources, and I can share my own experiences as the mother of seven and grandmother of eleven. My approach is to show love and concern, and help women work through the issues, emotional, spiritual, practical. I also help women deal with boyfriend and family issues. I am not a doctor, but I have done extensive medical research, so I may be able to help with information. I am female. When you write, if you are or were pregnant, please tell me how far along you were or are, and if you have had an abortion, please tell me what kind. Thank you.

I have been working with women who are considering abortion for several years. I also work with women who have had abortions. Our family has also experienced adoption, so I can talk about that as well.

I am mostly self-taught. I also studied midwifery for awhile. I have spent years doing research on this topic. In fact, I have been doing research and working in this area since the early 1970's. I have been helping women online for a few years, under the guidance of a woman who was formally training in counseling.