Abortion/Abortion and fibroid

Question
Hello I am 6 weeks and 3 days pregnant and during my scan yesterday the detected a 9 cm intra mural fibroid. I wish to go for an abortion as soon as possible but am worried if the fibroid will prevent this and what method would be best. Thanks

Answer
Krystal,
 Thanks for your question. I do not believe that your fibroid should be an issue. You can call your local abortion facility and ask, but in my opinion it should be fine. I would schedule the appointment as soon as possible. since your only 6 weeks and 3 days as of now, you still have a choice of a medication abortion(which is where you take a series of pills to end your pregnancy) or an in clinic suction abortion. The earlier an abortion is done the better, the risks are lower, you recover faster, and there is less pain involved. In terms of what method is best, I would leave that question for the doctor as I'm n0ot sure if there is a preferred method for a patient with fibroids, I honestly would think it would not matter and the choice would be left up to you. In my clinic we offer the medication abortion up to 9 weeks of gestation and that method is 97% effective. We also offer the in clinic suction abortion up to 13 weeks and 6 days( each state is different in terms of how many weeks abortions can be done until) The medication is nice because you can be in the comfort of your own home to pass the pregnancy but the downfall is it is a longer process and it may not work in which case you would need to have an in clinic suction abortion. The in clinic is good in the terms of it only takes 10 minutes and the process is done, however you are not in the comforts of your own home and there are multiple medical professionals in the room with you. So it really is a personal choice. In your case I would call the local abortion facility and explain the situation. I  really don't think the fibroids will be an issue. Go ahead and set up the appointment and get the process started. It's much better to terminate a pregnancy in the early stages. Good luck to you, please rate my answer if you get a chance and let me know if there is anything else I can do for you!!

Abortion

April