Abortion/Anaemia and abortion

Hello , I am 7 weeks pregnant now and was supposed to have an abortion yesterday. The could not do it since my hemoglobin  was too low (6.1) as I am severely anaemic. The referred me back to my GP.
Will my anaemic conditions stop me from having an abortion? What procedures will be best ?

Hi and thank you for you question. I apologize I could not respond yesterday, my daughter was sick and vomiting most of the night and i did not have a chance to get online.  Unfortunately yes severe anemia will prevent an abortion from going forward. At my clinic we like the Hemoglobin level to be 11.0 or above. Anything below 11.0 is at the doctor's discretion as to whether he will perform the abortion or not. But I do not that a patient coming into my clinic with a hemoglobin of 6.1 would not be able to obtain an abortion. It's simply too dangerous for our doctor's to perform it. . Anytime your submitting a patient to a procedure where there will be blood loss(either the medication abortion or the in clinic suction procedure) you know there hemoglobin is going to go down since you lose iron in the blood. Your's is already so low, your body could not stand the iron loss. With your hemoglobin being so low, I can not safely recommend any type of abortion. Are you taking iron pills? If not I recommend doing so, iron pills will help rise your hemoglobin. Also eating foods rich in iron well help a lot. Foods high in iron content include,Egg yolk,Dark, leafy greens such as spinach and collards,Dried fruit such as prunes and raisins,Iron-enriched cereals and grains(check the labels)Mollusks (oysters, clams, scallops)Turkey or chicken giblets,Beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans,Liver and Artichokes.Also, if you eat iron-rich foods along with foods that provide plenty of vitamin C, your body can better absorb the iron. You are still early in your pregnancy being your only 7 weeks, so my hope is that you can get your hemoglobin up high enough for a provider to safety perform your abortion. I would start taking iron pills daily, as well as eating foods rich in iron. Do this for a week or two and then visit your abortion provider again. Hopefully your levels will have raised enough for you to obtain your abortion. Please rate my answer if you get a chance, and please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. Good luck to you Krystal!  

I can answer questions relating to abortions including what options there are available and what the process is like. I have firsthand experience with the abortion pill(Mifeprex and misoprostol)and vacuum aspiration as these are the two options serviced in my clinic. If you are thinking about abortion and want someone to talk to I will gladly listen. I offer a non-judgmental view on abortion. I work at a family planning and abortion facility, I work with women of all walks of life who choose abortion. I am well educated and feel very capable of answering your questions in regard to this subject.

I am a Certified Medical Assistant and have worked at a family planning and abortion clinic for almost a year. I do the medical work up on our abortion patients prior to there procedures as well as counseling them before there procedure to ensure they are making this decision for the right reason. If the patient is not comfortable going forward, I non judgmentally explain to them there options to parent or place there child for adoption, giving referrals if necessary. I also stand next to our patients during there abortions holding there hands and assisting the doctor. I am there support person during there procedures. Afterwords we work closely with the patient to hopefully see they get on an effective form of birth control. I love my job, I feel i make a difference and I would not change it for the world.

I am still a member of the National Honor Society which I had the honor of being initiated into during college.

Associates Degree obtained in 2012 with a major in Medical Assisting. Certified Medical Assistant Certification obtained through the American Association of Medical Assistants(AAMA)in August of 2012

I was awarded the Deans award during all but one semester in college. This award is reserved for individuals who maintain a GPA of 3.7 or higher during that semester. I also received an award of perfect attendance during several semesters in college. Upon graduation I was the recipient of the Phoenix award. This award is given to an individual who the college feels has overcame amazing obstacles to get to where they are today.