Abortion/Medical Abortion

Hello doctors,

I took cytotec pills last oct 9 to induce an abortion. I bled for a week with some clots. Immediately after that my nausea and fatigue went away. Only my breasts were still tender.. after about 2-3 weeks my breast tenderness started to alleviate as well. Now its already dec 3, i took a home pregnancy test and it still showed a faint positive line.. i was surprised since i havent felt anything pregnancy related since taking the pills. Could i still be pregnant or is my body just taking longer to expel the pregnancy hormones?

We would not expect a pregnancy test to still be positive 2 months after an abortion. It could be that you still have some retained tissue. It could also be a new pregnancy. You should contact your abortion provider and request a follow-up examination.  

Doctor Early Options

We are a group of family doctors who provide abortion care for over a decade. We can answer any health or medical related questions about early abortion, including the aspiration procedure, the abortion pill (RU486), or surgical abortion. We run a practice called Early Options, located in New York City: The practice is dedicated to making early abortion part of mainstream medical care. There are other family doctors around the United States who practice a similar approach to early abortion care: see Please do not ask "private" questions so that other women can learn from your experience. Please tell me what country you are from so that we can better help you.

Experience in the area: We are all board certified family doctors who have special training in early abortion and reproductive health. Dr. Joan Fleischman is the founder of Early Options ( dedicated to making early abortion part of mainstream medical care. Organizations: National Abortion Federation American Association of Family Physicians

Dr. Joan Fleischman, Founder M.D., Harvard Medical School M.P.A., John F. Kennedy School of Government