My wife has missed her periods, she was due on 17-18th Feb. What are the options for abortion, as none of us is in a position to take care of the baby right now. Also, what effect abortion will have on future pregnancy ??

Hello, Rajat,

There are NO SAFE options for abortion. About 10,000 women are killed each year, from abortion. Your wife NEEDS and DESERVES your PROTECTION. If she is pregnant, she is carrying your child. Not only is abortion unsafe, but it may disable her so that whatever she is doing now that you think she cannot stop doing to care for a baby, may become impossible for her. And it could destroy your marriage.

There are usually only two methods used for abortion. One is pills. Pills take days, and force the mother to go through labor. She bleeds heavily for weeks, sometimes stopping and then starting to bleed again heavily. She can bleed to death. Pills can cause a massive infection, called Toxic Shock Syndrome. They shut down her immune system. Once symptoms start, the mother will be dead within hours. The other method is surgery. Surgery can cause damage to the uterus, resulting in bleeding, which can kill a woman, or making a hysterectomy necessary. It can result in damage to other organs. It can cause an infection that will kill a woman, or make her infertile. There are so many different possible consequences from surgical abortion that people have written entire books about them. Do you folks have the money to pay for medical care if your wife develops a serious complication? This occurs about 30% of the time, so it is a real possibility. The possibility that a woman's reproductive organs will be damaged is about 35%, and that's NOT counting the possibility of breast cancer. If she develops breast cancer, it will happen before she is 40, and there is a 25% chance the breast cancer will kill her. She can also develop auto-immune disease such as lupus or rheumatoid arthritis.

Any kind of abortion can cause serious consequences for future pregnancy. It can make a woman unable to conceive. It can cause her to have repeat miscarriages. It can cause complications during labor, making a Caesarian section necessary to save both mother and child. And it can cause severe birth defects such as cerebral palsy, mental retardation, autism, epilepsy, blindness, deafness, gastro-intestinal problems, and breathing problems. It can make weeks or months of hospitalization for the baby necessary.

Abortion can also cause serious emotional problems. A woman is 8 times as likely to commit suicide after abortion than she would be if she carried to term. The chance of violent death in the first year after abortion is 3 1/2 times what it would be otherwise. Women sometimes turn to drugs or alcohol, become promiscuous, or develop eating and sleep disorders. A woman can have horrible, terrible nightmares. I experienced those myself, and I wouldn't wish that off on my worst enemy, let alone your wife.

There are better answers. You have time to prepare. There are organizations and clinics in Delhi that can help you find a better answer. Please contact them:

Rajasthan Uttar Pradesh Catholic
Health Association (RUPCHA),4435/36/4,Makhan Lal Street (1 st floor),
7 Ansari Road, Daryaganj,NEW DELHI 110 002Phone:+91-11-23257354,
Fax: 23257354,
E-mail: mail@rupcha.org

If you are still unable to take care of a baby when he or she is born, you can give the baby to Mother Teresa's group, and they will find a good home for your baby.

Please let me know how things go, and keep in touch. Please protect your wife and your baby!

Pat G

I can help women with the consideration of their decision, and with resources, and I can share my own experiences as the mother of seven and grandmother of eleven. My approach is to show love and concern, and help women work through the issues, emotional, spiritual, practical. I also help women deal with boyfriend and family issues. I am not a doctor, but I have done extensive medical research, so I may be able to help with information. I am female. When you write, if you are or were pregnant, please tell me how far along you were or are, and if you have had an abortion, please tell me what kind. Thank you.

I have been working with women who are considering abortion for several years. I also work with women who have had abortions. Our family has also experienced adoption, so I can talk about that as well.

I am mostly self-taught. I also studied midwifery for awhile. I have spent years doing research on this topic. In fact, I have been doing research and working in this area since the early 1970's. I have been helping women online for a few years, under the guidance of a woman who was formally training in counseling.