Abortion/abortion

Question
a friend of mine was involve in an abortion sometimes ago and she is o negative and didn't take any injection afterwards,now what is the chance she has to give birth again and can she use the injection now cos i guess someone just told her about the implication and she feels she cant give birth again.

Answer
Hello, tehan,

The medical literature says the injection has to be taken immediately. I don't know what kind of medical resources you have in your country, but there is a treatment available if a woman with O negative blood is carrying a child with a different blood type. In addition, there is a test to see if she has antibodies from the abortion. There is always the possibility that the baby she was carrying was O negative as well. If she has no antibodies against another blood type, she can safely bear a child. If she does have a child, it is important that she give birth without injury. Usually, an experienced midwife can do a better job of guaranteeing there is no injury. Among other things, doctors like to do episiotomies, and that's an injury. Of course, she could also get the RhoGAM shot at the time she gives birth, for future situations, but if she already has antibodies, it wouldn't be helpful.

The best thing to do is for your friend to consult a doctor who is familiar with the problem. He can test for antibodies. He can also advise her on how she can successfully carry a child in the future.

As for managing the problem during a future pregnancy, I have the following information:

Management

Antenatal
Serial Ultrasound and Doppler examinations- to detect signs of fetal anemia such as increased blood flow velocities and monitor hydrops fetalis
Quantitative analysis of maternal anti-RhD antibodies - an increasing level is a sign of fetal Rh disease
Intrauterine blood transfusion
Intraperitoneal transfusion - blood transfused into fetal abdomen
Intravascular transfusion - blood transfused into fetal umbilical vein - This is the method of choice since the late 1980s, and more effective than intraperitoneal transfusion. A sample of fetal blood can be taken from the umbilical vein prior to the transfusion.
Early delivery (usually after about 36 weeks gestation)

Postnatal
Phototherapy for neonatal jaundice in mild disease
Exchange transfusion if the neonate has moderate or severe disease (the blood for transfusion must be less than a week old, Rh negative, ABO compatible with both the fetus and the mother, and be cross matched against the mothers serum)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rh_disease

I hope this helps. Take care.

Abortion

Pat G