Abortion/advice on pregnancy

Question
hI,
    I am a 25 years old female. In chronological order i am telling my problem.
I had my periods on January 10th.
Then i had unprotected sex with my boyfriend on January 21st and then i took emergency contraceptive pill.
Then on 25th January i had sex using condom but unfortunately that broke and i had to take an emergency pill again.
Thereafter i had my period on 2nd February.
We again had protected sex using condoms many times the whole month.
But this time my period is delayed. Today is 3rd March and i am still awaiting my periods.
I have been doing urine pregnancy test for last 5 days but everytime the test results are negative.
Is there a possibility of my being pregnant?

Answer
Hello, Rita,

You are obviously living very dangerously. Condoms do not work. They may delay pregnancy, but they don't prevent it. Emergency contraceptive pills are dangerous. They can kill you. Women take them when they don't even know if they "need" them or not. There is no point in threatening your life if you don't even have a problem to begin with.

If you have a normal length period, your period isn't really late at this point. Most pregnancy tests won't give a positive until about a week after a woman expects her period. That said, it sounds like your last period was only three weeks long. Is that correct? Is this the normal pattern for you?

Normally, a woman ovulates 14 days before her next period will start. She is fertile for 2-3 days before and after. So if you normally have 3 week periods, then your period would possibly be late. That said, worry over pregnancy could cause a delay in your period. So could the fact you took those pills. They will upset the normal hormonal rhythm of your body. Malnutrition (vegetarianism, for example) can cause delayed periods, or periods can stop altogether. If you are not eating any animal protein at all, you are suffering from malnutrition. Excessive exercise can also cause a woman to stop having periods.

Yes, it is possible you are pregnant. Test in about a week. By then, if you are pregnant, it should show. But please don't even consider getting an abortion. Abortions kill about 10,000 women every year, in India. Please don't be one of them. There is help available for you, if you are pregnant. There are clinics all over the area that will help you. You can find one near you by contacting these people:

Rajasthan Uttar Pradesh Catholic
Health Association (RUPCHA),4435/36/4,Makhan Lal Street (1 st floor),
7 Ansari Road, Daryaganj,NEW DELHI 110 002Phone:+91-11-23257354,
Fax: 23257354,
E-mail: mail@rupcha.org

There are nearly 300 different groups in your area. Please do contact them.

In the meantime, please stop taking chances. Your partner is using your body for personal pleasure, and you are taking all the medical consequences. This isn't right. You deserve someone who will respect your integrity and your body. Please think about this.

Please do keep in touch, and keep yourself safe. Let me know what happens.

Abortion

Pat G